renamed rc.boot to rc.boot.old now it wont boot???

renamed rc.boot to rc.boot.old now it wont boot???

Post by Ted Tryo » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 08:27:41

I recently brought home a Sun Sparc 10 from work.  I was trying to figure
out why it would only boot in single user mode when I apparently did the
wrong thing.  I renamed the file rc.boot to rc.boot.old and then rebooted
the box. now I don't even get a prompt to work with.  Please help if you
can.

Thanks

Post by John Cecer » Mon, 30 Oct 2000 02:00:15

> I recently brought home a Sun Sparc 10 from work.  I was trying to figure
> out why it would only boot in single user mode when I apparently did the
> wrong thing.  I renamed the file rc.boot to rc.boot.old and then rebooted
> the box. now I don't even get a prompt to work with.  Please help if you
> can.

> Thanks

Ted,
        It sounds like your SPARC 10 is running SunOS 4.x. In order to recover
from this, you'll probably need to boot from cdrom, mount the root
filesystem off your disk, and rename the file back to rc.boot. If you
don't have a 4.x CD to boot with, booting a 5.x CD should work too,
since you'll be able to mount your BSD 4.2 filesystem as filesystem type
ufs in 5.x.

--
John Cecere
To reply, remove the _NOSPAM_ from my email address.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not
have,
nor do they deserve, either one." -- Thomas Jefferson

1. prob w/ /etc/rc.d/rc.local - wont boot

OK, I have a problem...

I added a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, which apparently
comtains some sort of an error. Now when I try to boot
linux - off HDD or floppy - it gets to that line and
hangs. Since I can't get at the problem file without first
booting linux, this seems to be a bit of a problem...

If anyone could tell me either (a) how to change the file
without booting linux, (b) how to bypass that file from the
boot sequence, or (c) how to crash out of the boot sequence
to a login prompt (or some such), then I'd be eternally
grateful.

Email answers preferred due to v.fast news timeout.

Cheers,
Phil

--

  _
 |_)|_ *|
 |  | )||   http://http2.brunel.ac.uk:8080/~ee92pmh/
 ========

2. network services

3. Boot problem: " cannot execute "/etc/rc.d/rc.S" "

4. apache deny,allow directives for multiple IP's

5. What is it the /etc/rc.d/rc.boot file?

6. HELP: Need libc.so.4 for TclX7.4a-b5

7. difference between /etc/rc.sysinit and /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit ?

8. connecting to port 80 on a redhat 7.1 machine

9. which user does /etc/rc.d/rc.local / rc.sysinit run as?

10. SOLVED - Raid rc.0, rc.6 rc.S

11. Help!<My boot disk wont boot!!!!>

12. Dual boot XP / Linux wont boot into XP

13. rc.inet1 hangs up boot