fsck everytime system bootup

Post by Man » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

hello all,
    here we have 2 machines - ultra1 running solaris2.5.1 and used for
server of a few applications. the power supply for the site where these
2 machines located is not very stable so the machines experiencing a lot
of improper shutdown. when the power resume, as usual there will be
lines on the console showing output of "fsck".
    question #1: does the "fsck" done when the machines bootup is enough
to check the health of disk and filesystems on it?
    question #2: my senior asked me to find out how we can put lines to
do "fsck" (a few time on a particular slice until we get a clean/stable
slice) during bootup. can this be done and how?

    as far as i know even when we boot into single mode user, the / and
/usr slice are mounted and running "fsck" onto this two slices must be
avoided (my interpretation to "warning" section of fsck(1M)). i like to
hear comments/suggestion from others.

thank you

-Man-

Post by Jay Hennig » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

:hello all,
:    here we have 2 machines - ultra1 running solaris2.5.1 and used for
:server of a few applications. the power supply for the site where these
:2 machines located is not very stable so the machines experiencing a lot
:of improper shutdown. when the power resume, as usual there will be
:lines on the console showing output of "fsck".
:    question #1: does the "fsck" done when the machines bootup is enough
:to check the health of disk and filesystems on it?
:    question #2: my senior asked me to find out how we can put lines to
:do "fsck" (a few time on a particular slice until we get a clean/stable
:slice) during bootup. can this be done and how?

Get a UPS with enough smarts to do a clean shutdown if the outage is
lengthy, along with the proper interface and software.

Otherwise you will lose data.  You're trying to treat the symptoms
instead of the disease.  It's only a matter of time until your
filesystems will be damaged to the point that fsck can't repair them.

fsck everytime system bootup

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>    here we have 2 machines - ultra1 running solaris2.5.1 and used for
>server of a few applications. the power supply for the site where these
>2 machines located is not very stable so the machines experiencing a lot
>of improper shutdown. when the power resume, as usual there will be
>lines on the console showing output of "fsck".
>    question #1: does the "fsck" done when the machines bootup is enough
>to check the health of disk and filesystems on it?

Yes.

Quote:>    question #2: my senior asked me to find out how we can put lines to
>do "fsck" (a few time on a particular slice until we get a clean/stable
>slice) during bootup. can this be done and how?

One would put in "fsck -y", but this is rather dangerous.

Quote:>    as far as i know even when we boot into single mode user, the / and
>/usr slice are mounted and running "fsck" onto this two slices must be
>avoided (my interpretation to "warning" section of fsck(1M)). i like to
>hear comments/suggestion from others.

The slices are mounted read-only, so fsck'ing them is not dangerous.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

fsck everytime system bootup

Post by Man » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> >    here we have 2 machines - ultra1 running solaris2.5.1 and used for
> >server of a few applications. the power supply for the site where these
> >2 machines located is not very stable so the machines experiencing a lot
> >of improper shutdown. when the power resume, as usual there will be
> >lines on the console showing output of "fsck".
> >    question #1: does the "fsck" done when the machines bootup is enough
> >to check the health of disk and filesystems on it?

> Yes.

> >    question #2: my senior asked me to find out how we can put lines to
> >do "fsck" (a few time on a particular slice until we get a clean/stable
> >slice) during bootup. can this be done and how?

> One would put in "fsck -y", but this is rather dangerous.

which file(s) might hold that "fsck -y" ? is it /etc/rcS ?is the dangerous u
said in your answer is really dangerous :) ? so you mean i can come back to
my senior and tell him/her that we better don't that?

1. fsck fsck fsck say I

[[[Ouch.  Sorry.  Ouch.  The first edition of this text lost the first
word of its Subject.  Fixed now]]]

I remember I first learned of `fsck -f -y /` after `umount /` in the
thread:

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Subject: fsck fsck fsck say I
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=2695edf1.0312021221.72f242a3%...

Speaking again now of fsck'ing on demand, eventually I also noticed,

My `man -k fsck` does not yet, but could/ should, point to:

--- http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+man+shutdown
--- http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/shutdown.8.html
-f
Skip fsck on reboot.
-F
Force fsck on reboot.
---

Pat LaVarre

2. Installing new CPU in RS/6k

3. microsoft (argl) intellimouse

4. Slackware fsck.ext2 bootup problem.

5. non-root installation of DLL-shared libraries (ld.so ldconfig)

6. ext3 still fsck's on bootup

7. How to create 'oss' type audio I/O?

8. fsck'ing the / partition in 0.99pl9 during bootup

9. Internals question fsck'ing an SDS boot partition during bootup

10. Problem: On bootup always says to run fsck

11. Problem during bootup with fsck.ext2 - Operation not permitted

12. force fsck -A on bootup?