How to automate telnet

Post by Richard Carrie » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I am running Solaris 2.5.1 and i'd like to know if there is a way to
automate the telnet login without having to enter my username and password.
Is there a file like .netrc for ftp that can work with telnet.
Thanks,
Richard

How to automate telnet

Post by Anthony Mandi » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I am running Solaris 2.5.1 and i'd like to know if there is a way to
> automate the telnet login without having to enter my username and password.
> Is there a file like .netrc for ftp that can work with telnet.

        Have you considered rlogin with a .rhosts file in your home
        directory?

-am

How to automate telnet

Post by Greg Hers » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I am running Solaris 2.5.1 and i'd like to know if there is a way to
> automate the telnet login without having to enter my username and password.
> Is there a file like .netrc for ftp that can work with telnet.
> Thanks,
> Richard

A standard solution is a combination of TCL and EXPECT. I believe
Perl offers a similar functionality (not the standard distribution,
but something is available on CPAN). This is more flexible than
.netrc-type solution (which I don't believe is available for telnet).

--
Greg

How to automate telnet

Post by Jason N » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Can you do it with a shell script ?

Jason

> Hi,
> I am running Solaris 2.5.1 and i'd like to know if there is a way to
> automate the telnet login without having to enter my username and password.
> Is there a file like .netrc for ftp that can work with telnet.
> Thanks,
> Richard

How to automate telnet

Post by Hakan Stenho » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

>Can you do it with a shell script ?

expect, a tcl extension can do this, see "Exploring Expect" by Don Libes from
O'Reilly & Associates, Inc  contains examples of this.
Basicly expect is a script language that can automate user-shell interaction.
http://www.scriptics.com
contains tcl/tk and expect stuff (amoung other things).

H?kan Stenholm

>Jason

>> Hi,
>> I am running Solaris 2.5.1 and i'd like to know if there is a way to
>> automate the telnet login without having to enter my username and password.
>> Is there a file like .netrc for ftp that can work with telnet.
>> Thanks,
>> Richard

How to automate telnet

Post by Robert Angelin » Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Can you do it with a shell script ?

I think tcsh has a builtin idlelogout variable which you can set.
It's been a while since I've used tcsh.  You might want to check.

--
Robert Angelino
Director of Software Development

1. Automating telnet connection from shell script

Hi all,

Need to automate a telnet connection which stays connected for about 1
minute and then disconnects and closes. This needs to happen every hour.
I am guessing that I can do this with a simple shell script. Any
suggestions?

Reuben

2. mail and news on remote machine

3. automating telnet-send ayt command

4. Setuid Question

5. automating telnet and checking

6. qpopper with Redhat

7. automate telnet

8. Linksys Ether16 Lan Card problems

9. automated telnet sessions?

10. Automated telnet session (the sequel)

11. automated telnet?

12. Automating Telnet or SSH

13. Question on automating telnet using hereis