sendmail error message at boot.

Post by Kevin Halverso » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 02:55:11

I'm logging into a Netra 1405 running 2.6.  When I reboot the system I
get this error message from sendmail. The machine's node name is node1.

Jan 17 09:35:38 node1 sendmail[204]: My unqualified host name (node1)
unknown; sleeping fro retry.

Jan 17 09:36:38 node1 sendmail[204]: unable to qualify my own domain
name (node1)
 -- using short name

It is running DNS and does have the domain set in the /etc/resolv.conf
file.  I'm not even
running sendmail on this server.

Thanks for your help!!
-Kevin

Post by Ken Feli » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 03:15:41

> I'm logging into a Netra 1405 running 2.6.  When I reboot the system I
> get this error message from sendmail. The machine's node name is node1.

> Jan 17 09:35:38 node1 sendmail[204]: My unqualified host name (node1)
> unknown; sleeping fro retry.

"node1"  is not full qualified domain name

Quote:

> Jan 17 09:36:38 node1 sendmail[204]: unable to qualify my own domain
> name (node1)
>  -- using short name

> It is running DNS and does have the domain set in the /etc/resolv.conf
> file.  I'm not even
> running sendmail on this server.

FYI:sendmail is automatically started at boot up look in /etc/rc2.d/

If you want that error message to go away configure you're full qualified
domain name in you're local /etc/hosts file.

i.e ( something like this )

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  myserver"."mydomain".com    loghost   "myserver"shortname

Quote:

> Thanks for your help!!
> -Kevin

good luck.

sendmail error message at boot.

Post by Mark Hargrav » Sat, 20 Jan 2001 03:09:54

Try adding "dns" to the host line in the /etc/nsswitch.conf file.

Mark

--
Mark Hargrave  <><

Web:   http://www.markhargrave.com
"Depart from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it" (Psalm 34:14)

1. Boot issues (will Windows 95 boot from the 2nd drive withBootEasy???; strange error message with wd0)

Two more questions from a FreeBSD newbie:

I have two HDDs: one is WD21600H (1.6 GB) with Windows 95 currently
installed on it; the other is an old Seagate S3290A drive (290 MB), with
a very small (10 MB) DOS partition, and the rest is a big partition with
FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE. The smaller drive is primary master, with
FreeBSD's boot manager installed on it.

1) Irrespective of whether my Windows drive is primary slave or
secondary master, I get the following at the booting time. FreeBSD boot
manager offers me with 3 choices: "DOS", "FreeBSD", and "2nd disk". If I
choose "2nd disk", however, DOS starts booting. I know that Windows must
normally be on the 1st drive, but for some reasons, it would be much
more convenient for me to have my FreeBSD drive as primary master. Is it
at all possible to boot Windows 95 from the 2nd drive with FreeBSD's
boot manager? (I know that it _is_ possible with some commercial
products like BootIt by TeraByte Unlimited.)

2) My motherboard is Intel MARL, with PCI IDE controller (Intel PIIX,
with Bus Mastering). When my bigger drive is installed as primary slave,
everything is OK. When I install it as a secondary master (i.e., I have
wd0 on wdc0 and wd2 at wdc1, without wd1 drive on wdc0), the system
boots almost the same way, finds the wdc1 controller, but issues 1
additional message:

wd0: wdcontrol: wdcommand failed reading fsbn0 wd0: status 1<err> error
4<abort>

Could any kind soul out there explain what does it mean? I can use my
FreeBSD, mount everything from any of the two drives after that, so I
haven't figured out yet what is the error, and what are its (possible)
consequences? By the way: when configuring devices during FreeBSD
instalaltion, it shoes wdc0 and wdc1 among ISA devices, and wdc0 among
PCI devices (i.e., those you cannot configure manually). Does it relate
somehow to my situation? (Like should I reconfigure something manually
with those 2 "ISA wdc"'s, if in fact I have a PCI IDE controller with
two channels?

Many thanks in advance. Sorry for lengthy questions...

Maksym

--
Maksym Kozub
Translator/interpreter (English, Polish, Ukrainian, Russian)

You can also try http://www.kozub.dyn.ml.org (experimental site, down
most of the time!)

2. iptables rules for vonage

3. error message while booting dma_intr:error=0x51 ...?

4. Motherboard Compatility

5. Ignoring specific boot messages / boot message redirection??

6. X and 800x600 resolution

7. Error message continuous error messages

8. Getting into the floppy boot

9. sendmail 8.6.9 error message

10. Sendmail Error Message

11. Sendmail Error Message to decipyher.

12. sendmail/smtp error message

13. Sendmail Maximum Message Size Error!