scsi IDs order in scsi chain

Post by David Zlotchenko » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have 3 drives and a tapedrive on a SCSI controller and need to add a RAID
drive.  My drives can take only IDs 1,2,3,4,5,6.  My tapedrive has been ID 4
and can be switched only in 1-7 range.  Before now, I had my 3 drives
occupiing IDs 1,2,3 and tapedrive ID 4.  For reason of space availability and
length of cables, I need to put the RAID between the tapedrive and the
storage array.  So I gave it ID 6.

In this configuration, I have problemaccessing my tapedrive. I can call
"mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewind" and see the tapdrive responding, but the operation
never completes.  In addition, my RAID array is not configured yet and
generates lots of "saf" error messages.

Is is this because I created a chain with ID order 1,2,3,6,4?

What do I do in order to change special device files for the tapedrive
to have it on a different SCSI ID?

I run Solaris 7 on Ultra 1.

Thank you. David.

David Zlotchenko
Sr. Systems Analyst            Phone: (01) (423) 974-6601

University of Tennessee        WWW: http://www.oars.utk.edu/~zlotchen

scsi IDs order in scsi chain

Post by Andrew Gabri » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have 3 drives and a tapedrive on a SCSI controller and need to add a RAID
>drive.  My drives can take only IDs 1,2,3,4,5,6.  My tapedrive has been ID 4
>and can be switched only in 1-7 range.  Before now, I had my 3 drives
>occupiing IDs 1,2,3 and tapedrive ID 4.  For reason of space availability and
>length of cables, I need to put the RAID between the tapedrive and the
>storage array.  So I gave it ID 6.

>In this configuration, I have problemaccessing my tapedrive. I can call
>"mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewind" and see the tapdrive responding, but the operation
>never completes.  In addition, my RAID array is not configured yet and
>generates lots of "saf" error messages.

>Is is this because I created a chain with ID order 1,2,3,6,4?

No, SCSI IDs have no relation to position on the SCSI bus.

I suspect there might be something wrong with the bus, e.g.
termination, length, or maybe duplicate IDs.
What does probe-scsi or probe-scsi-all show from the monitor prompt?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Consultant Software Engineer

scsi IDs order in scsi chain

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>"mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewind" and see the tapdrive responding, but the operation
>never completes.  In addition, my RAID array is not configured yet and
>generates lots of "saf" error messages.
>Is is this because I created a chain with ID order 1,2,3,6,4?

No.

It's most likely because you've exceeded the max cable length on the
SCSI cable (note that a any component typically counts as 1m of cable)

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

scsi IDs order in scsi chain

Post by Brian Gambl » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

switch it to 5 target 6 is usually the internal cdrom drive ( if you have one
that is )

Brian

> Hi,

> I have 3 drives and a tapedrive on a SCSI controller and need to add a RAID
> drive.  My drives can take only IDs 1,2,3,4,5,6.  My tapedrive has been ID 4
> and can be switched only in 1-7 range.  Before now, I had my 3 drives
> occupiing IDs 1,2,3 and tapedrive ID 4.  For reason of space availability and
> length of cables, I need to put the RAID between the tapedrive and the
> storage array.  So I gave it ID 6.

> In this configuration, I have problemaccessing my tapedrive. I can call
> "mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewind" and see the tapdrive responding, but the operation
> never completes.  In addition, my RAID array is not configured yet and
> generates lots of "saf" error messages.

> Is is this because I created a chain with ID order 1,2,3,6,4?

> What do I do in order to change special device files for the tapedrive
> to have it on a different SCSI ID?

> I run Solaris 7 on Ultra 1.

> Thank you. David.

> --
> --
> David Zlotchenko
> Sr. Systems Analyst            Phone: (01) (423) 974-6601

> University of Tennessee        WWW: http://www.oars.utk.edu/~zlotchen

scsi IDs order in scsi chain

Post by Thomas H Jones I » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

in the configuration you list below, unless you are using VERY short
SCSI interconnects, youve most likely exceeded your chain lenghth. if
such is the case, you have two options: shorten the chain; insert a SCSI
repeater.

another thing you might also want to check is, your RAID array is the
same SCSI type as your other devices. likely youd be getting pretty
strong diagnostic messages if you had a differential/single-ended
mismatch somewhere in the chain, though.

-tom

>Hi,

>I have 3 drives and a tapedrive on a SCSI controller and need to add a RAID
>drive.  My drives can take only IDs 1,2,3,4,5,6.  My tapedrive has been ID 4
>and can be switched only in 1-7 range.  Before now, I had my 3 drives
>occupiing IDs 1,2,3 and tapedrive ID 4.  For reason of space availability and
>length of cables, I need to put the RAID between the tapedrive and the
>storage array.  So I gave it ID 6.

>In this configuration, I have problemaccessing my tapedrive. I can call
>"mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewind" and see the tapdrive responding, but the operation
>never completes.  In addition, my RAID array is not configured yet and
>generates lots of "saf" error messages.

>Is is this because I created a chain with ID order 1,2,3,6,4?

>What do I do in order to change special device files for the tapedrive
>to have it on a different SCSI ID?

>I run Solaris 7 on Ultra 1.

>Thank you. David.

>--
>--
>David Zlotchenko
>Sr. Systems Analyst            Phone: (01) (423) 974-6601

>University of Tennessee        WWW: http://www.oars.utk.edu/~zlotchen

1. daisy chain 6-drive disk packs? SCSI id

Folks:

I have access to a couple of older SUN 6-drive multi-packs,
which I'd like to daisy-chain together on the same X1062A
SCSI adapter on an Ultra 2.  The drives use the 80-pin
Single connector.  How are the SCSI ID's set within these
enclosures?  Do they have external SCSI ID's or are the
addresses set "by location" within the multi-pack?  If
the latter, how can you hook two multi-packs together and
get unique ID's for all 12 drives? i.e., 0-5 on the first
one and 8-12 on the second.  Anyone?

--rick

2. Problems with sis900.c [solution?]

3. Install question/SCSI Chain id's??

4. redhat 5.0 network config

5. Any experience of external scsi 250MB zip *not* at end of scsi-2 chain?

6. Users & Quota

7. CHINON 535 SCSI, Linux /= scsi id 7

8. Transparent Proxy with Bay Networks

9. ide-scsi, 1394-sbp2 and usb-storage scsi host ids

10. SCSI disk error : host 1 channel 0 id 4 - L440GX , Adaptec AIC7xx and RedHat SCSI Errors

11. SCSI ID changed after adding SCSI Controller

12. How to mount SCSI Plextor 4Plex CD-ROM, SCSI ID-2

13. How to set SCSI HBA's SCSI ID?