find command - Value too large for defined data type

find command - Value too large for defined data type

Post by Gary Quirin » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 01:00:48

Every time I run a find command on Solaris 7 (Sun hardware) I get the following
message:

find / -name xyz -print

Value too large for defined data type

Thanks
Gary

find command - Value too large for defined data type

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 01:15:15

>Every time I run a find command on Solaris 7 (Sun hardware) I get the following
>message:
>find / -name xyz -print
>Value too large for defined data type

Are you using GNU find?

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Gary Quirin » Wed, 26 Sep 2001 02:39:06

>[[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]

>>Every time I run a find command on Solaris 7 (Sun hardware) I get the following
>>message:

>>find / -name xyz -print

>>Value too large for defined data type

>Are you using GNU find?

I don't believe so, it's a stock Solaris 7 install on a Sun hardware.  I just
noticed that the error only occurs if I start the search in the root directory,
if I start the find in /etc or /var it's fine.

Gary

Post by Paul Egger » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:05:52

> find / -name xyz -print
> Value too large for defined data type

That can occur if you run a 32-bit application on a file whose
timestamp does not fit in a 32-bit time_t.  To work around the
problem, recompile 'find' in 64-bit mode.  Too bad Sun doesn't
ship it that way.

Similarly for all other applications that stat files, notably 'ls'.

Post by Andrew Gabri » Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:18:07

>> find / -name xyz -print
>> Value too large for defined data type

> That can occur if you run a 32-bit application on a file whose
> timestamp does not fit in a 32-bit time_t.  To work around the
> problem, recompile 'find' in 64-bit mode.  Too bad Sun doesn't
> ship it that way.

> Similarly for all other applications that stat files, notably 'ls'.

For the very rare occasions you bump up against this, there's
/usr/bin/sparcv9/ls

--
Andrew Gabriel

1. find: Value too large for defined data type

Hi,

I'm using 'find' in a script to find recently changed files ...
(That worked until a few days !)

Few days ago, the find command  'find /mydir ...' aborts with the error
message
find: cannot open /mydir: Value too large for defined data type

presumably due to an amount of subdirs and files being too large ... ?
(In /mydir there are only 5 subdirs !)
Still it works if I use single subdirs: /mydir/subdir1 or /mydir/subdir2
etc.)

Can I circumvent this problem without redesigning my script ?

(find version from SunOS 5.7)

Roger

--
Dr. Roger Zimmermann *** Institute of Physiology, Hamburg
Martinistra/3e 52 D-20246 Hamburg Tel.: /40 42803 5351

2. Where is Linux 1.2.8 ?

3. find: cannot open /: Value too large for defined data type

4. Firewalling/Masquerade with 1.3.6x Kernels

5. find: Value too large for defined data type

6. Have anybody setup a Compaq Presario 336-VCS modem?

7. FTP error: Value too large for defined data type.

8. ssa_start: No room for PDU of size 592, waiting...

9. *** Value too large for defined data type ***

10. chdir: Value too large for defined data type

11. ls: feed1.dat: Value too large for defined data type

12. NFS Problem - Value too large for defined data type

13. error "value too large for defined data type" while reading from ntfs