compatibility of UFS between sparc and x86

compatibility of UFS between sparc and x86

Post by Thierry Besanco » Wed, 01 Sep 2004 00:44:10

        Hello

I don't have access to a x86 Solaris box. Can someone tell me if an
external disk (say connected through USB) with a solaris UFS
filesystem made on a x86 solaris box can be read directly on a sparc
solaris box ? What about the opposite ?

Thanks in advance.

        Thierry Besancon

Post by Doug McIntyr » Wed, 01 Sep 2004 00:59:01

>I don't have access to a x86 Solaris box. Can someone tell me if an
>external disk (say connected through USB) with a solaris UFS
>filesystem made on a x86 solaris box can be read directly on a sparc
>solaris box ? What about the opposite ?

No to either situation.

The machines are different endian, and the file systems aren't written
to be endian-agnostic.
--

                   Network Engineer/Jack of All Trades
                      Vector Internet Services, Inc.

Post by Darren Dunha » Wed, 01 Sep 2004 01:36:37

>>I don't have access to a x86 Solaris box. Can someone tell me if an
>>external disk (say connected through USB) with a solaris UFS
>>filesystem made on a x86 solaris box can be read directly on a sparc
>>solaris box ? What about the opposite ?
> No to either situation.
> The machines are different endian, and the file systems aren't written
> to be endian-agnostic.

And even if they were, I don't know that either one has support for the
other architecture's disk labels.

Assuming support were added to each system for the foriegn architecture
UFS, does anyone know how hard it would be to access such on real disks
(using x86 partitions and SPARC VTOCs)?

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

Post by David Magd » Fri, 03 Sep 2004 00:20:05

> >I don't have access to a x86 Solaris box. Can someone tell me if an
> >external disk (say connected through USB) with a solaris UFS
> >filesystem made on a x86 solaris box can be read directly on a sparc
> >solaris box ? What about the opposite ?

> No to either situation.

To the OP,

What situation are you in that you need to do this? There may be an
alternative.

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, http://www.magda.ca/

1. UFS compatibility between x86 and SPARC

Sorry, this is probably a FAQ.

Are UFS filesystems written on x86 boxes compatible with those written
on SPARC, in terms of byte-orderingness etc?  In particular, if I have
a disk with a filesystem on it written on an x86 box, would I be able
to read it on a SPARC box, both running Solaris 10?  If not is there
any easy way (such as dding it with some ordering conversion into a
large file, then using lofi to mount the file) which would let me mount
it?

The reason for asking is that I have a disk written on an x86 box
running Solaris 10, but the only x86 box I have access to to read it
has a NIC that Solaris 10 doesn't like.

Thanks

--tim

2. How to setup as a proxy client below Linux

3. sparc v. intel ufs compatibility for MO

4. BSD weenie needs to turn off keyboard echoing under Sys5

5. Solaris / BSD: (ufs)dump / (ufs)restore compatibility?

6. ATI Mach 64 and Magdx1795

7. Mount UFS from external disk from SPARC on X86

8. I would switch to linux IF.....

9. any way to have ufs and pcfs on mobile disk for both sparc/x86?

10. 2.4 x86 ufs floppy unreadable by 2.3 SPARC 20

11. Application Compatibility between SPARC and x86

12. binary compatibility Solaris Sparc <==> x86

13. binary compatibility between SPARC and x86