PPPoE (Roaring Penguin) on Solaris8 ..?! (any installation guide?)

PPPoE (Roaring Penguin) on Solaris8 ..?! (any installation guide?)

Post by Solari » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 01:29:37

My ISP provides ASDL broadband service and I work with it on my Linux and
Windows98 box pretty good. Now I wanna replace the Linux/Windows98 with a
Solaris8 box and go on to work with the ASDL modem. I have downloaded the
PPPoE software from http://www.roaringpenguin.com/ which they say the
RP-PPPoE Version 2.3 can be run on a Solaris box (but they don't provide a
installation manual or readme file for Solaris.....). While I compiled the
source and it returned "pppd" not found. Then I tried to link the Solaris
built-in "aspppd" to "pppd" and then recompile once again. The output was
the "pppd" version cannot be detect (returned null code) and terminated the
compilation.  Does anyone has experience on this software ? Please advise
how to overcome the problems and should I to download another version of
"pppd" instead of the Solaris default "aspppd" ??

thanks a lot!

regard,
Solaris

Post by Holger Burd » Wed, 27 Sep 2000 04:00:00

> My ISP provides ASDL broadband service and I work with it on my Linux and
> Windows98 box pretty good. Now I wanna replace the Linux/Windows98 with a
> Solaris8 box and go on to work with the ASDL modem. I have downloaded the
> PPPoE software from http://www.roaringpenguin.com/ which they say the
> RP-PPPoE Version 2.3 can be run on a Solaris box (but they don't provide a
> installation manual or readme file for Solaris.....). While I compiled the
> source and it returned "pppd" not found. Then I tried to link the Solaris
> built-in "aspppd" to "pppd" and then recompile once again. The output was
> the "pppd" version cannot be detect (returned null code) and terminated the
> compilation.  Does anyone has experience on this software ? Please advise
> how to overcome the problems and should I to download another version of
> "pppd" instead of the Solaris default "aspppd" ??

> thanks a lot!

> regard,
> Solaris

Oops - does it mean PPoE may not work with asppd ? this sucks !!!

--
Dipl. Inform. H. Burde - UNIX SysAdmin/Security - BCI GmbH