INTERACTIVE UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2, Version 4.1

INTERACTIVE UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2, Version 4.1

Discovered one of these systems on our LAN.  Anyone seen this before?

Post by hume.spamfil.. » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 01:34:58

> Discovered one of these systems on our LAN.  Anyone seen this before?

Yep, its rather old.  It was Sun's answer to SCO, the question nobody asked.
I've got the box at home, but its been years since I ran such a system.

--
Brandon Hume    - hume -> BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca, http://WWW.BOFH.Halifax.NS.Ca/
                       -> Solaris Snob and general NOCMonkey

Post by Phil Eschallie » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 03:58:24

    > Discovered one of these systems on our LAN.  Anyone seen this
    > before?

Now this brings back memories.  Interactive V/386 was originally
produced by an independent company (Interactive) to compete against
SCO and Microport.  (We all know about SCO, Microport was one of those
companies in and out of bankrupcy who'd produced the first commercial
SysVr2 system for the 80286 in 1984 or 1985.)  For it's time,
Interactive was a fairly slick offering and we used a number of these
systems to support an E-mail and USENET store / forward operation
circa 1990.

Interactive was swallowed by Kodak and then I believe was sold to
Sun.  You mentioned that you have version 4.1, I don't remember what
versions were from which company.

It's surprising that you still have it running ... I can't help but
wonder what it's been used for (instrumentation?).

Anyway, there's likely no upgrade path for you and I have to suspect
that it has Y2K issues.  Best of luck in your path forward.

--
Phil Eschallier
Bux Technical Services

Post by Hans J?rgen Jakobs » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 05:00:18

>    > Discovered one of these systems on our LAN.  Anyone seen this
>    > before?
>It's surprising that you still have it running ... I can't help but
>wonder what it's been used for (instrumentation?).
>Anyway, there's likely no upgrade path for you and I have to suspect
>that it has Y2K issues.  Best of luck in your path forward.

Sun released some y2k patches for the box. But as the binaries are
static linked you will have to recompile your code. Our Interactives
are only used for terminal emulation to another legacy system so
we chose to roll the clock 4 years back.
/hjj

Post by Stefaan A Eecke » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 06:10:16

>    > Discovered one of these systems on our LAN.  Anyone seen this
>    > before?

> Now this brings back memories.  Interactive V/386 was originally
> produced by an independent company (Interactive) to compete against
> SCO and Microport.  (We all know about SCO, Microport was one of those
> companies in and out of bankrupcy who'd produced the first commercial
> SysVr2 system for the 80286 in 1984 or 1985.)  For it's time,
> Interactive was a fairly slick offering and we used a number of these
> systems to support an E-mail and USENET store / forward operation
> circa 1990.

I ran Interactive Unix 2.2 (the version after V/386) from 1990
till 1993. At the time, it was better and cheaper than SCO.

Quote:

> Interactive was swallowed by Kodak and then I believe was sold to
> Sun.  You mentioned that you have version 4.1, I don't remember what
> versions were from which company.

IIRC, that was _before_ Kodak and certainly before Sun.

Quote:

> It's surprising that you still have it running ... I can't help but
> wonder what it's been used for (instrumentation?).

> Anyway, there's likely no upgrade path for you and I have to suspect
> that it has Y2K issues.  Best of luck in your path forward.

The upgrade path is Solaris 8 for x86. Just after acquiring
Interactive, SunSoft sold Interactive Unix with a free upgrade
to Solaris/x86. Whether Solaris8 still runs the old Interactive
V/386 binaries is another matter, but it might be worth a try.
I ran 2.2 binaries on Linux with iBCS; I even got a couple of
X programs to run that way.

--
Stefaan
--

Post by Tony Walto » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 19:46:29

> Anyway, there's likely no upgrade path for you and I have to suspect
> that it has Y2K issues.  Best of luck in your path forward.

Interactive Unix 4.1 has Y2K problems - upgrading to 4.1.1 fixes them.

HTH

--
Tony