exabyte 8500c woes - FIXED!

Post by Raymond Bla » Sat, 02 Apr 1994 05:51:28

A little while back I posted a question about how to configure Solaris 2.3
to be able to use the Exabyte 8500C properly. I finally got things working,
and all I had to do was stick a few lines at the top of the
/kernel/drv/st.conf file (and reboot with boot -r to be safe):

tape-config-list =
    "EXABYTE EXB8500C", "Exabyte(C) 8mm Helical Scan", "my-exabyte-config";
my-exabyte-config = 1,0x35,1024,0x39,4,0x14,0x15,0x90,0x8c,1;

The 0x35 corresponds to the MT_IS8MM type in the <sys/mtio.h> file, the 1024
the default block size, the 0x39 corresponds to various device flags
(ST_VARIABLE | ST_BSF | ST_BSR | ST_LONG_ERASE), followed by 4 density codes.
The final 1 is an index into the density codes and specifies the default one.

With this set up the following device names correspond to the following
write modes:

/dev/rmt/0l     8200 (low density)
/dev/rmt/0m     8500 (high density)
/dev/rmt/0h     8200C (low density, compressed)
/dev/rmt/0c     8500C (high density, compressed)

Rearrange the order of the density codes as desired. For example, one might
want medium density to be 8200C mode, and high density to be 8500 mode, in
which case the 0x15 and 0x90 should be switched so that /dev/rmt/0m is 8200C
and /dev/rmt/0h is 8500.

Cheers,
Ray Blaak

P.S. Thanks to those who offered to give me system patches.

1. Exabyte 8500C woes in SOlaris 2.3

I have an Exabyte 8500C that works fine when attached to a SunOS 4.1
machine. When I attach it to a Solaris 2.3 machine, I cannot read a tape I
could previously read with the same drive on the 4.1 machine (the tape must
be in a compressed format).

Does one have to do anything special to get Solaris tape drivers to read
8500C tapes properly? It seems (from <sys/mtio.h>) that Solaris knows only
the 8200 and 8500 by default, so I would understand that Solaris, by default,
would not know how to specify that one is writing in compressed mode.

In SunOS 4.1, one modified the /usr/sys/scsi/targets/st_conf.c file to
describe tape driver characteristics. In Solaris, one modifies
/kernel/drv/st.conf. I tried to specify the 8500C characteristics using the
st_conf.h 8500C entry as a guide. These are the values I have:

vendor string = "EXABYTE EXB8500C"
flags         = ST_VARIABLE | ST_BSF | ST_BSR | ST_LONG_ERASE
density codes= 0x14, 0x15, 0x90, 0x8C

The Solaris st.conf entry requires a type value (from mtio.h), and I don't
know whether to specify MT_ISEXB8500 or MT_IS8MM for the 8500C.

When I modified the st.conf file and rebooted, I could read low and hi
density tapes under Solaris, but not compressed ones.

Has anyone else had to get an 8500C working under Solaris? How was it done?
Does it make a difference to reading if the tape is accessed via the
different device names that specifify the densities (e.g. /dev/rmt/0ln,
0lbn, 0hn, 0hbn, 0cn, 0cbn)? My understanding is that is does not, and the
drive itself overides the ``requested'' density with that of the actual data
on the tape.

Wondering,
Ray Blaak

2. need help w/Gigabit Enet card install

3. Here is a fix for Exabyte 8500c problem

4. IP security - how paranoid is TOO paranoid?

5. Exabyte 8500C on SS1000

6. NIS failure

7. Exabyte 8500C, Solaris 2.6 and dd

8. downgrading glibc

9. Exabyte 8500C

10. Exabyte 8500C and Solaris 2.x

11. Exabyte 8500c unusable with Solaris 2.3

12. Exabyte 8500c errors

13. Exabyte 8500C on Solaris 2.2?