Q:Installing x86 from Linux or DOS

Post by Andrew Corma » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I have a working Pentium with Windows 95 and Linux happily co-habiting on
the first Hard disk. Both can see my CD-ROM which is connected via a
SoundBlaster 16 card. I have an empty 1Gb second hard disk, which is
supposed to have Solaris put on it, but the Solaris boot floppy cannot
see the CD, only the two disks. Is there any way I can use either of the
existing OSs to do the installation, perhaps by copying the CD into a
partition high up on the second disk, and then installing from there
into a lower partition ? Alternatively, can I perform the installation
direct from CD to the hard disk somehow ?

Any suggestions, or pointers to information, gladly received. Thanks,
Andrew

       | Information Systems Support, | snail: 40/41 Park Place, Cardiff |
       |    postmaster and webmaster  |        CF1 3BB                   |
       | University of Wales, Cardiff |                                  |

Q:Installing x86 from Linux or DOS

Post by Douglas Gib » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hve you tried getting a SCSI card and CD-Rom?  Thats what was recommended
to me and I have the same setup as you.  I haven't installed Solaris yet
myself but will be once I get my hands on some SCSI devices.  Good Luck.

: I have a working Pentium with Windows 95 and Linux happily co-habiting on
: the first Hard disk. Both can see my CD-ROM which is connected via a
: SoundBlaster 16 card. I have an empty 1Gb second hard disk, which is
: supposed to have Solaris put on it, but the Solaris boot floppy cannot
: see the CD, only the two disks. Is there any way I can use either of the
: existing OSs to do the installation, perhaps by copying the CD into a
: partition high up on the second disk, and then installing from there
: into a lower partition ? Alternatively, can I perform the installation
: direct from CD to the hard disk somehow ?

: Any suggestions, or pointers to information, gladly received. Thanks,
: Andrew
: --
:        +-----------------------------------------------------------------+

--
        Douglas Gibbs
        Kingston Online Services

        South-Eastern Ontario's link to the WORLD and BEYOND!

Q:Installing x86 from Linux or DOS

Post by Carl Laurence Gonsalve » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a working Pentium with Windows 95 and Linux happily co-habiting
on
> the first Hard disk. Both can see my CD-ROM which is connected via a
> SoundBlaster 16 card. I have an empty 1Gb second hard disk, which is
> supposed to have Solaris put on it, but the Solaris boot floppy cannot
> see the CD, only the two disks. Is there any way I can use either of the
> existing OSs to do the installation, perhaps by copying the CD into a
> partition high up on the second disk, and then installing from there
> into a lower partition ? Alternatively, can I perform the installation
> direct from CD to the hard disk somehow ?

> Any suggestions, or pointers to information, gladly received. Thanks,
> Andrew

Which version of Solaris x86 are you trying to install? (2.4? 2.5?) I had
a similar problem with 2.4 on my machine. Sun has a driver update which
will allow you to install from your CD, and also has drivers for your
sound blaster. The driver update is located at:

http://access1.sun.com/gateway/drivergate/driver10.html

You'll need to get:
Solaris 2.4 x86 Driver Update 10 REALMODE Boot Diskette
Solaris 2.4 x86 Driver Update 10 SOLARIS Boot Diskette
Solaris 2.4 x86 Driver Update 10 Distribution Diskette (patch format
diskette)

You'll also need to get dd for DOS
(http://access1.sun.com/gateway/drivergate/utilities/dd.exe) to extract
the files onto floppies for you. Once you've done that, boot off of the
"realmode boot disk", which then asks for the "Solaris boot disk". It
should see your CD. At some point during the install it also asks for the
patch disk.

There's some other stuff on this page, like a kernel patch, and a video
driver update disks. There's also documentation for all of the driver
update stuff in both PostScript and ASCII text.

Note that this is all for 2.4 x86.

--

                   Computer Science, University of Waterloo
               http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~clgonsal/

Post by Andrew Corma » Tue, 23 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: Which version of Solaris x86 are you trying to install? (2.4? 2.5?) I had
: a similar problem with 2.4 on my machine. Sun has a driver update which
: will allow you to install from your CD, and also has drivers for your
: sound blaster.
:
: Note that this is all for 2.4 x86.

The CD I had in mind was 2.5, but if the support is better for 2.4 I'll see
if I can find one of those kicking around. Many thanks for the information,

Post by Carl Laurence Gonsalve » Tue, 23 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> : Which version of Solaris x86 are you trying to install? (2.4? 2.5?) I
had
> : a similar problem with 2.4 on my machine. Sun has a driver update
which
> : will allow you to install from your CD, and also has drivers for your
> : sound blaster.
> :
> : Note that this is all for 2.4 x86.

> The CD I had in mind was 2.5, but if the support is better for 2.4 I'll
see
> if I can find one of those kicking around. Many thanks for the

information,

A similar driver update probably exists for 2.5. I just never looked
because, well, I've got 2.4. Check out
http://access1.sun.com/TechRoom/solaris.html#x86

--

                   Computer Science, University of Waterloo
               http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~clgonsal/
                   http://www.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/~clgonsal/

1. x86 simple Qs - install stalled

I plan to set up a multi-boot machine with Solaris 8, Win98SE, WinNT4
and OpenBSD.  This is not a production machine, but I'll use it rather
for learning & experimenting.  It's an AMD-486/120 w/ 64 MB, ATI
RageII+TV out, 3COM 3509 ISA mode, Yamaha sound card, Conner 250 Tape
drive, SB IDE 48X CD-ROM.

For install purposes I'll only be using the first IDE channel, with a
250MB Quantum drive as the master, formatted with FAT16 and with DOS
installed, and a WD 6 Gig as a slave.  I installed Solaris 8 first and
gave it 1.4GB on the slave.  I used CD1 for install with the boot-up
diskette, as this older mobo cannot boot from the CD (after trying the
install CD and failing just like everybody else).  I chose mostly
defaults and automatic configs.  When it came to partitioning, Solaris
install wanted to allocate space only for / and swap, but then it
stopped with an error.  I then asked it to allocated slices for each
one, and this is what it came out with:

/            c1d0s0          77MB
/usr/openwin c1d0s1         409MB
overlap      c1d0s2        1399MB
/var         c1d0s3          51MB
swap         c1d0s4         169MB
/opt         c1d0s5          40MB
/usr         c1d0s6         649MB

With this config, it only gave me the following warning, and then
proceeded with the install.

Obviously, this motherboard cannot do that, but I plan to install
WinNT at the end of it all, and use its boot loader to choose the OS
to boot.

The install proceeded, it copied the files from the CD, and after
about 1h, there was a Solaris desktop with only a window opened with
the message "setting up mounting points" or something to that effect.
I right clicked and chose Utilities, then nothing happened (or there
was something, but the machine was too slow), anyway, eventually the
message Starting Openwindows appeared and the machine rebooted.
Unfortuantely, as that warning message said, the machine went straight
to DOS.  The install never prompted me for CD 2.

My questions are:

1. Has the install completed, and if not, what should I be doing to
finish it (using the boot-up floppy seems to go through the install
procedure again)?

2. Will I be able to use NT boot loader to start Solaris, and what
would the corresponding entry in boot.ini be?

3. Should I be using bootpart?

4. Are the slices/partitions of usable dimensions?  I plan to add some
other hard drives and a SCSI adapter later on, so I might have to
change the mounting points - is that doable?

TIA

2. How to exclude file pattern in diff

3. DOS <-> Linux and other Qs

4. Convincing the NIC to use baseT instead of base2

5. Installing x86 Solaris (was: Installing x86 dual-boot with WinXP)

6. FreeBSD Book ships with 2.2?

7. Installing Solaris 2.4 x86 on a disk with DOS and OS/2

9. HOw to install Linux with WinNT & Dos pre-installed.

10. Installing Solaris x86 with Linux already installed

11. my fav commands w/several Qs: DHCP, driver install, certificates, etc.

12. two Qs: netscape install & video ram