to purify or not to purify?

Post by PeterFoelsc » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 05:33:47

Our permanent license for purify expired (grin).
Expired in a sense,
that despite object file-format and OS did not change,
I cannot get purify to deal successfully with my executable anymore.
Using dbx check -all is a little bit slow.
Anybody knows about something similar,
which does not require a periodic fee to keep working?
I'm using SOLARIS 5.7.

to purify or not to purify?

Post by Rich Tee » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 06:39:09

Quote:> Our permanent license for purify expired (grin).
> Expired in a sense,
> that despite object file-format and OS did not change,
> I cannot get purify to deal successfully with my executable anymore.
> Using dbx check -all is a little bit slow.
> Anybody knows about something similar,
> which does not require a periodic fee to keep working?
> I'm using SOLARIS 5.7.

Have a look at watchmalloc - it might do what you want
(or at least, a subset of it).

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

to purify or not to purify?

Post by Andy Lennar » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 14:30:59

Quote:>Our permanent license for purify expired (grin).
>Expired in a sense,
>that despite object file-format and OS did not change,
>I cannot get purify to deal successfully with my executable anymore.
>Using dbx check -all is a little bit slow.
>Anybody knows about something similar,
>which does not require a periodic fee to keep working?
>I'm using SOLARIS 5.7.

Strange. The permanent licences here have kept running...

What messages does it give?

Maybe it's that an 'old' version doesn't understand your new OS or
compiler....

to purify or not to purify?

Post by Michael Schloh von Bennewit » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 16:22:53

> Anybody knows about something similar,
> which does not require a periodic fee to keep working?
> I'm using SOLARIS 5.7.

After considering Purify, we are using dmalloc instead.
   http://www.dmalloc.org

However, you can imagine how limited our situation is. Purify does a lot
more than dmalloc.

Ciao,

Michael

1. Purify equivalent on AIX RS/6000

I've seen in the PureAtria web pages that Purify is not
supported on the IBM workstation.  Is there a tool of
similar caliber and/or functionality that is available for
this platform?  It can be freeware, shareware, or commercial --
it doesn't matter, I just need to know.

-c.s.

2. LinuxPPC 4.1 rebuilding kernel and other src questions

3. Purify says libg++'s String is bad.

4. Xconfig builder

5. Purify

6. Creating device driver for Solaris

7. Purify: BSR

8. syncing network time

9. Have anyone tried to Purify an omniORB3 application?

10. purify and memory managers

11. Weird problem with PURIFY on SUNOS

12. multi-threaded 'purify' type program

13. purify on x86 Solaris