resolving names

Post by Tom » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Greetings..

    Heres a *...
        I setup a sparc 5, added in the IP address to the network card,
    went into hosts file edited that, went and made the resolv.conf
    file, and created the defaultrouter file.  Now while the beast has
    the ability to telnet out and the such, I cannot ping anything with
    name.  ping www.yahoo.com doesnt work.  Pinging the IP address
    does.  I did add the machine to the name server as well.

    Any suggestions???

    Tom

resolving names

Post by Andrew Welha » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

did you change nsswitch.conf to make it use dns ???

Andy

> Greetings..

>     Heres a *...
>         I setup a sparc 5, added in the IP address to the network card,
>     went into hosts file edited that, went and made the resolv.conf
>     file, and created the defaultrouter file.  Now while the beast has
>     the ability to telnet out and the such, I cannot ping anything with
>     name.  ping www.yahoo.com doesnt work.  Pinging the IP address
>     does.  I did add the machine to the name server as well.

>     Any suggestions???

>     Tom

resolving names

Post by Kurt J. Lanz » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Greetings..

>     Heres a *...
>         I setup a sparc 5, added in the IP address to the network card,
>     went into hosts file edited that, went and made the resolv.conf
>     file, and created the defaultrouter file.  Now while the beast has
>     the ability to telnet out and the such, I cannot ping anything with
>     name.  ping www.yahoo.com doesnt work.  Pinging the IP address
>     does.  I did add the machine to the name server as well.

>     Any suggestions???

Did you remember /etc/nsswitch.conf? The line:

        hosts: files dns

to tell nslookup and others (I forget the details) to use dns to look
up hsotnames not in /etc/hosts.