Crossplatform Nightly Build of Automake C-project

Crossplatform Nightly Build of Automake C-project

Post by Matthias Wil » Thu, 18 Dec 2003 01:46:44

Hi

We have a crossplatform (sparc-solaris, ix86-win32) pure C Project in
an Automake/Autoproj Environment with CVS. We now would like to add
some automation of the build process and let the project build over
night automatically. For the solaris part, we already have this
functionality via a self-made perl-script which basically just logs in
into a solaris machine (rsh), checks out the desired project (cvs
checkout <proj>), configures it (export ARCH=sun-sparc-solaris8-ws6;
configure) and builds everything (make world), writing any errors and
warning to a log file.
Now it would be nice to incorporate the windows build also in the
nightly build cycles. I'm no windows programmer, so I have no idea
about the capabilities of windows concerning automated builds.
Has anyone here any experience with automated build in windows in
general and automated crossplatform builds in special and can give me
some hints?

Perhaps you can just answer this questions:

1. What is the status of CVS with Windows? (We do de checkout and
prebuild of the windows build also on solaris)

2. Is it a good idea to go with the Windows shell/commandline, i.e.
with telnet, to control/execute the automated build?

3. Is NMAKE usable for this purpose? What are ways in general to
automate builds in a windows environment?

4. Is it possible to build also the windows binaries on solaris
(cross-compiling)?

5. I also thought about using Cygwin? Would that improve the
situation?

I appreciate any hint, thanks!
Matthias Wille

Post by Erik de Castro Lop » Thu, 18 Dec 2003 04:33:01

> Now it would be nice to incorporate the windows build also in the
> nightly build cycles. I'm no windows programmer, so I have no idea
> about the capabilities of windows concerning automated builds.

If you're coming from the windows world, you are in for a whole
bunch of pain. I have two small projects that I maintain that
target unix and win32. Keeping the win32 end working chews up
a disproportionate amount of my time. I have not even tried to
automate it.

Quote:> Has anyone here any experience with automated build in windows in
> general and automated crossplatform builds in special and can give me
> some hints?

> Perhaps you can just answer this questions:

> 1. What is the status of CVS with Windows? (We do de checkout and
> prebuild of the windows build also on solaris)

CVS definitely does work on windows. I'm not sure of the command
line, but a GUI version (WinCVS) does exist. My solution if
to use the unix tools to do a CVS checkout onto a Samb share and
let windows use that.

Quote:> 2. Is it a good idea to go with the Windows shell/commandline, i.e.
> with telnet, to control/execute the automated build?

It might be possible but it will require a lot of work.

Quote:> 3. Is NMAKE usable for this purpose? What are ways in general to
> automate builds in a windows environment?

Nmake is a very poor make but does generally get the job done.
I maintain a win32 makefile by hand. I would love to
autogenerate it from the Makefile.am but it is a non-trivial
exericise to write code to do that.

Quote:> 4. Is it possible to build also the windows binaries on solaris
> (cross-compiling)?

Theoreticaly yes.

Quote:> 5. I also thought about using Cygwin? Would that improve the
> situation?

Try using Mingw instead. Using cygwin requires linking to a DLL
to provide a unix emulation layer while Mingw is the GCC
compiler and tools ported to win32.

Quote:> I appreciate any hint, thanks!

Good luck, you'll need it. I'd be interested in what you come
up with.

Erik

"We reject kings, presidents, and voting. We believe in rough
consensus and running code."  -- Dave Clark (IETF 1992)

Post by Jim Cochran » Thu, 18 Dec 2003 07:37:37

>> Now it would be nice to incorporate the windows build also in the
>> nightly build cycles. I'm no windows programmer, so I have no idea
>> about the capabilities of windows concerning automated builds.

>> 5. I also thought about using Cygwin? Would that improve the
>> situation?

> Try using Mingw instead. Using cygwin requires linking to a DLL
> to provide a unix emulation layer while Mingw is the GCC
> compiler and tools ported to win32.

Even if you don't use cygwin for compiling, it can be very useful for
UNIX geeks for scripting, since it includes bash and most of the standard
UNIX tools.  I've found that it adds a lot to development productivity
on otherwise painful-to-use (for me) Windows machines.

Post by Erik de Castro Lop » Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:54:23

> Even if you don't use cygwin for compiling, it can be very useful for
> UNIX geeks for scripting,

I agree completely. If forgot about that aspect because I'm
fortunate enough to never use windows for anything other
than compiling and testing my two cross platform libraries :-).

I was suggesting Mingw to allow the OP to compile native
windows binaries which do not depend on the Cygwin DLL.

Erik

Q: What do you call a christian who accidently read the bible
with his brain turned on?
A: An atheist

1. autoconf/automake with C++ and multi-direcotry structure projects

Hi,

I'm still new to developing on Linux with C++. I have a 10+ years experience
programming in C++, but mostly on Windows. Now I'm trying to develop a piece
of software on Linux, but I wanna follow the standard way of doing this. I
did a bit of reading on project management using autoconf/automake/libtool,
and found them to be very useful. However, I'm still stuck on how to get the
pieces of my C++ code to link together using a hierarchy of directories,
where each directory contains some C++ source files.

One of the tutorials I found mentioned that I should compile the code in
each subdirectory into a static library, then link the main program against
these libraries. Is this the best way to do it? I think there might be a way
to compile the code in the subdirectories to object files, then link them to
the main program (just as if they were in the same folder), but I'm not sure
how to do that.

Any input is much appreciated.
TIA.

- Khaled

2. scsi card not detecting

3. automake/autoconf: linking object files built with different compilers

4. Booting from HD partition > 1023 Cylinders?? Help...

5. GTK+-2.0 application build with autoproject, autoconf, automake, autogen, etc

6. catching smurf attack...

7. building kde3.1 with automake !=1.5

8. WEB BROWERS - What inet service?

9. c++: Building shared library with libtool/automake

10. automake - change build directory?

11. Spanish project to build powerful web servers based on Linux Cluster Technology

12. kdevelop project build-configure error

13. Anyone using project management practices in building a server?