UDP Tuning to prevent dropped packets

Post by Bruce Barne » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:00:00

I am writing some programs that do some intensive UDP sends and
receives. Not surprisingly, packets get dropped.

When I send out the packets via a Multicast channel, and receive my
own transmissions, packets are dropped again. (Or were never sent).

Is there any parameter to adjust so that Solaris can handle more
UDP packets?  Can I increase the number of buffers used for UDP? Is
this one of the magic "ndd" parameters? Thanks.

--

UDP Tuning to prevent dropped packets

Post by Sven C. Da » Fri, 31 Mar 1995 13:21:01

Bruce> Is there any parameter to adjust so that Solaris can handle more
Bruce> UDP packets?  Can I increase the number of buffers used for UDP? Is
Bruce> this one of the magic "ndd" parameters? Thanks.

  Try increasing the send and receive buffers (SNDBUF and RCVBUF) of a socket
with the setsockopt() function.

  The only  ndd option I can  think of that might speedup  UDP handling is to
disable  the creation of UDP  checksums.  But I  doubt that  this will give a
significant speedup but  rather summon  bad  demons because it  will have  an
effect on your whole system.

Sven
--
LOAD "EMACS",8,1

1. eth interface is down yet can still receive UDP packets - how can I prevent this?

On Mon, 05 May 2003 22:03:59 -0500, Louie R. Orbeta
network.  If I ifconfig down eth1, or physically
which is normal.  However, after 20 seconds or so,
shows that the messages go thru the default route.
disconnected/down, I won't be able to receive any messages until
Are the eth0 and eth1 interfaces connected to the same hub?
Another host is sending packets to 192.168.1.10, but if eth1 is down,
your machine should ignore them.   ping 192.168.1.10 should show "0
packets received".

--
bill marcum the mushroom-eating laboratory monkey
What kind of monkey are you? http://thesurrealist.co.uk/monkey.cgi

2. rexec() subroutine call returns "Connection refused" WHY???????????

3. Tuning net parameters for sending a maximum number of UDP packets

4. ~~ How to view and print postscript (*.ps) on DOS or WIN95? ~~

5. UDP packet loss / kernel tuning?

6. question about "'s

7. Firewall dropping Kazaa UDP packets it shouldn't -- Need help

8. Slackware 3.0 on CD - running primarily off of CDROM (HELP)

9. PKERNEL: Warning: RPC/UDP receive queue are full, packet dropping

10. Linux maybe dropping UDP packets?

11. dropped udp packets - due to no socket

12. UDP packets dropped

13. UDP packets dropping