firmware upgrade on Ultra-2 - how?

Post by Michal Szymans » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:41:57

Hi,

I'm installing Solaris 8 on a Ultra-2 machine. Right after booting
from CDROM I got a message that 'firmware does not support
64-bit OS' and that I need to upgrade to at least 'OBP 3.11.2
1997/12/05'.

I've searched Sun WWW for 'firmware & upgrade' but it responded with
2415 matches, mostly PDFs, with no practical chance to find
anything appropriate.

Three simple questions:

- does Ultra-2 hardware (CPU etc) really support 64-bit so it is
  worth trying to install 64-bit version of OS?
- if 'yes', how can one upgrade the firmware?
- can one install OS first and upgrade firmware afterwards and
  still be able to boot 64-bit?

any help will be appreciated,

regards, Michal.

--

  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND

firmware upgrade on Ultra-2 - how?

Post by Ryn » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 06:25:25

There is a patch available to upgrade the firmware. YOu should
have been prompted when you rebooted. If you edit boot.conf
and set your system to boot in 64-bit mode you can take full
advantage of the UltraSPARC proc.

Ryan

> Hi,

> I'm installing Solaris 8 on a Ultra-2 machine. Right after booting
> from CDROM I got a message that 'firmware does not support
> 64-bit OS' and that I need to upgrade to at least 'OBP 3.11.2
> 1997/12/05'.

> I've searched Sun WWW for 'firmware & upgrade' but it responded with
> 2415 matches, mostly PDFs, with no practical chance to find
> anything appropriate.

> Three simple questions:

> - does Ultra-2 hardware (CPU etc) really support 64-bit so it is
>   worth trying to install 64-bit version of OS?
> - if 'yes', how can one upgrade the firmware?
> - can one install OS first and upgrade firmware afterwards and
>   still be able to boot 64-bit?

> any help will be appreciated,

> regards, Michal.

> --

>   Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND

firmware upgrade on Ultra-2 - how?

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 06:44:18

Search the patch database, it has the firmware patches.

The firmware patch is also included with Solaris 7 & 8.

Quote:>- does Ultra-2 hardware (CPU etc) really support 64-bit so it is
>  worth trying to install 64-bit version of OS?

Yes.

Quote:>- if 'yes', how can one upgrade the firmware?

Pull the proper jumper and reboot on a 64 bit OS.

Quote:>- can one install OS first and upgrade firmware afterwards and
>  still be able to boot 64-bit?

Yes, provided you select the "64 bit" option.  64 bit is somethning
you isntall on top of 32 bit; it's a separate 64 bit kernel and 64 bit
libraries and binaries , the latter two runtime selected depending on
the kernel you run.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

firmware upgrade on Ultra-2 - how?

Post by unitren » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:55:13

The procedure can be found in docs.sun.com , I just done on three or my U
2,  there are three steps :
First you have to set a jumper , then execute a command ( already in
Solaris 2.8 ) , finally , edit boot.conf and re-boot .
It took less then an hour to finish the job .

Rich

> [[ PLEASE DON'T SEND ME EMAIL COPIES OF POSTINGS ]]

> Search the patch database, it has the firmware patches.

> The firmware patch is also included with Solaris 7 & 8.

> >- does Ultra-2 hardware (CPU etc) really support 64-bit so it is
> >  worth trying to install 64-bit version of OS?

> Yes.

> >- if 'yes', how can one upgrade the firmware?

> Pull the proper jumper and reboot on a 64 bit OS.

> >- can one install OS first and upgrade firmware afterwards and
> >  still be able to boot 64-bit?

> Yes, provided you select the "64 bit" option.  64 bit is somethning
> you isntall on top of 32 bit; it's a separate 64 bit kernel and 64 bit
> libraries and binaries , the latter two runtime selected depending on
> the kernel you run.

> Casper
> --
> Expressed in this posting are my opinions.  They are in no way related
> to opinions held by my employer, Sun Microsystems.
> Statements on Sun products included here are not gospel and may
> be fiction rather than truth.

1. Is it hard to upgrade firmware on Ultra 2 Enterprise ?

Hello,
My Ultra 2 always display a warning message whenever I boot up:

" THE FIRMWARE ON THIS SYSTEM DOES NOT SUPPORT 64BIT OS. PLEASE UPGRADE TO
ONE OF THE FOLLOWING VERSION: "
OBP 3.11.2 1997/12/05 10:25

Configuration I have:
CPU: 2x300, 512MB, 2x9GB, Creator 3D, Solaris 8 10/00

Can someone please help me on this ? And how to upgrade it ? Does it like
upgrade a firmware from PC side ?
Thanks
-VP

2. lilo default=dos

3. upgrade from Ultra-2 to Ultra-10, and Solaris 2.6 to 2.7

4. Config setup for Diamond Viper vlb

5. Upgrade from Ultra-1 to Ultra-5

6. Unable to open /dev/ptmx:

7. Ultra 1 to Ultra 10 Upgrade

8. Sample sendmail.cf for S2

9. CPU upgrade of Ultra-2 ?

10. Firmware Password of Sun Ultra 1

11. ultra 1 firmware and diskless booting

12. Firmware Upgrade

13. Alphabios-SRM firmware upgrade - no display PC164LX