Free Unix Systems Monitoring and Notification System

Free Unix Systems Monitoring and Notification System

Post by Sean McGui » Sun, 10 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hello all...

The first really beta release of Big Brother is available.  It's
something I wrote to monitor multiple Unix systems, network connectivity,
disk space, processes, etc, and can page you if something really horrible
happens.

First version has programmable triggers, can page you (if you have
kermit and a modem), and displays the current system status on a Web page
(with flashing lights and everything).  So when something goes wrong,
you get paged and can check the precise status of things from a Web page.

I've ported it to Solaris, FreeBSD, linux, and HPUX 10.01...
the install is still gross, but I'm working on it... source code
is included.

Written mostly in /bin/sh (yup!) with C for the client-server stuff.

Any comments on it would be appreciated.

        Big Brother lives here:
        http://www.iti.qc.ca/iti/users/sean/bb-dnld/
--

http://www.iti.qc.ca/iti/users/sean/            +1 514 982 9644

                "Looking down the barrel of another day"

1. Free Unix Systems Monitoring and Notification System

Hello all...

Version 0.95 of Big Brother, the Web-based Unix and Network monitor
is available for downloading at http://www.iti.qc.ca/iti/users/sean/
it adds support for OSF, Ultrix and NetBSD from Gunnar Helliesen

It's something I wrote to monitor multiple Unix systems, network
connectivity, disk space, processes, etc, and can page you if something
really horrible happens.

Big Brother has programmable triggers, can page you (if you have
kermit and a modem), and displays the current system status on a Web page
(with flashing lights and everything).  So when something goes wrong,
you get paged and can check the precise status of things from a Web page.

Automatic configuration is supported for linux, FreeBSD, solaris, hpux10,
and sunos, ultrix, OSF, and NetBSD, but other systems should be easy to
configure.

Written mostly in /bin/sh (yup!) with C for the client-server stuff.

Your comments are appreciated!
--

http://www.iti.qc.ca/iti/users/sean/            +1 514 982 9644

                "Looking down the barrel of another day"

2. Is There a ICQ Clone for Solaris ..?

3. Big Brother ((A Web-based Unix Network Monitoring and Notification System)

4. BeOS Announces Support from Software Developers?

5. Does any Know How To FTP between a Unix system and a Non Unix operating system.

6. Backup blues....

7. Is there any API for monitoring system resources(CPU utilization, free memory....)?

8. Test programs for sound cards

9. FREE: Tektronix monitor (4115) for Linux System

10. Free systems monitoring and management tool.

11. Free Distributed Systems Monitoring Software -->

12. Subject: Free Solaris Distributed System Monitoring Software

13. Free Distributed Systems Monitoring Software -->