Solaris SPARC > WinNT Network

Post by Ray Mille » Wed, 21 May 1997 04:00:00

I will be integrating a Sun SPARC 20 workstation with Solaris 2.5x server
software into a WinNT40 IP network.

I plan to utilize Intergraph DiskShare for WinNT / Win95 NSF access.

The SPARC box will be deployed as both a Bentley CAD station and network
data storage / retrieval.

Any information, publication recommendations, etc. that can assist in this
integration would be greatly appreciated.

Ray

Post by Nigel Tampl » Mon, 02 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>I will be integrating a Sun SPARC 20 workstation with Solaris 2.5x server
>software into a WinNT40 IP network.
>I plan to utilize Intergraph DiskShare for WinNT / Win95 NSF access.
>The SPARC box will be deployed as both a Bentley CAD station and network
>data storage / retrieval.
>Any information, publication recommendations, etc. that can assist in this
>integration would be greatly appreciated.
>Ray

Have you had a look at SAMBA,
(http://lake.canberra.edu.au/pub/samba/samba.html).
This will allow you to "share" (export) a directory to Win95/NT OS's
in their native format, so on the Windows machines you would simply,
select map networked drive and specify it as:
\\sparc20hostname\sharename

For example my PC's H: drive is mapped from.

\\batman\nigel

batman being my SPARC 5.

It also allows for printer sharing amongst other things.

best of all SAMBA is pizzaware

quote from web site:
"Andrew doesn't ask for payment, but
he does appreciate it when people give him pizza"

Hope that helps,