port 25 connection refused

Post by Mbun » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 02:26:06

Hello!

I have an ultra-1 running Solaris 8 as a primary sendmail server.

This server is getting hit hard by incoming connections and today is
refusing most connections to port 25.  What determines when the system will
refuse a connection and is there anything I can do to increase the number of
connections allowed on that port before the system starts refusing the
connections?

TIA,

Sean

--
My Favorite Unix Books:

Sendmail:  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565922220/petgeeks/A/
DNS:  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596001584/petgeeks/A/
Networking:  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/059600186X/petgeeks/A/
Sed & Awk:  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565922255/petgeeks/A/
Perl:  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596000278/petgeeks/A/
HP-UX:  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0130183741/petgeeks/A/
Solaris:  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0766821374/petgeeks/A/

port 25 connection refused

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 02:33:51

|This server is getting hit hard by incoming connections and today is
|refusing most connections to port 25.  What determines when the system will
|refuse a connection and is there anything I can do to increase the number of
|connections allowed on that port before the system starts refusing the
|connections?
|
|My Favorite Unix Books:
|Sendmail:  http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565922220/petgeeks/A/

There are a number of settings in the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf that control
things like maximum load for accepting connections, maximum number of
child processes, etc.  You should find it all documented in the sendmail
book you list in your .sig

port 25 connection refused

Post by Paul Seymo » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 05:21:31

Quote:>This server is getting hit hard by incoming connections and today is
>refusing most connections to port 25.  What determines when the system will
>refuse a connection and is there anything I can do to increase the number of
>connections allowed on that port before the system starts refusing the
>connections?

Generally load average although this is configurable in sendmail.cf

port 25 connection refused

Post by Mbun » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 07:05:30

The load on the server is no where near the limit set in the sendmail.cf
file.  The sendmail.cf file has a load limit of 12 and the actual load on
the machine is around 1.0 or below.

1. RH7.2 - Connection refused on port 25/SMTP

Cheers,

I am trying to send mail to my server (RH7.2) from a work station, but
the connections keeps getting refused.  I have never had problems when
using RH 6.2, and this is baffing me.

I have disabled the firewall as I thought that might be causing the
problem, to no avail.

This is the message I receive when trying to telnet to port 25 of the
server:

Trying 192.168.0.10...

thanks

jeff

2. POSIX.4 and PATH_MAX

3. Connection refused on port 25...

4. Total Packet size

5. Connection refused on port 25

6. Linux Myths ... Pearls from Redmond

7. sendmail on Red Hat 8 Linux -- connection refused on port 25 -- solution

8. Linux Router

9. Telnet 25 connection refused (Again)

10. sendmail problem (?) : telnet localhost 25 --> connection refused

11. can't send mail because telnet port 25 refused

12. telnet on port 25 refused

13. sendmail not accepting connections on port 25?