Shutting down a Solaris 8 machine

Post by ladygrinningsou » Thu, 04 Nov 2004 11:33:47

I have a Sun Ultra 30 with a brand new Solaris 8 installation on it (disks
were also formatted). Shutdown commands like 'init 5' and 'shutdown -g 0'
have absolutely no effect on the machine.  Nothing happens. Only 'reboot'
works.  Does anyone know why this would be?

Post by Boyd Adamso » Thu, 04 Nov 2004 12:19:13

> I have a Sun Ultra 30 with a brand new Solaris 8 installation on it (disks
> were also formatted). Shutdown commands like 'init 5' and 'shutdown -g 0'
> have absolutely no effect on the machine.  Nothing happens. Only 'reboot'
> works.  Does anyone know why this would be?

The most common reason I've seen for init (and hence shutdown) doing
nothing at all is that init has not yet finished the previous run-level
transition.

Look for scripts in /etc/rc*.d that are still running from boot.

1. How to shut-off on a shut-down?

Hi,

I'm sure it is possible, I've done it before but I've lost my notes on
the subject: I just installed Suse 6.1 (yes six-dot-one, the old one) on
a labtob (laptop?) and I cannot find how or where to power down the
machine automatically on a shutdown. I know it is something in the
init.d or rc.d directories but I cannot find what or where to configure.

How can I (automatically) power-down my machine on a shutdown?

I don't think it is part of the issue but if it is, my machine is a
Toshiba Satalite Pro 440.

Thanks

CB

--
Everything should be as simple as possible but not simpler - A. Einstein
Corne' Beerse                                   | Alcatel Telecom Nederland

2. CLASSPATH in RedHat Linux 5.2

3. Shutting down eth0 hangs machine

4. Anonymous FTP

5. RH Linux 7.0 machine reboots when shutting down.

7. Indicator that a machine's shut down?

8. Can DOS see Linux Partition?

9. Machine shuts down during install of RH 5.2

10. Problem with powering down when shutting down

11. shutting down (programmaticaly) a remote solaris box ????

12. My solaris 9.0 auto shut down after 30min.

13. Shutting down a Solaris box