Questions on solaris device drivers

Post by Rajesh_Agarwa.. » Thu, 18 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Folks,

How are the driver alias names that can be specified by add_drv used?
Should they appear in the /devices name space?

Also is it possible to get multiple "instances" (the word "instance"
used as in the SUN Writing Device Driver manual) of a pseudo device
driver running? I tried specifying additional lines in the .conf file
with different values for the instance property but only the first
line seems to have been used.

Thanks
Rajesh

Post by Jack Bochsl » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Folks,

>How are the driver alias names that can be specified by add_drv used?
>Should they appear in the /devices name space?

The name for a device is derived from the device itself, and is the
name that shows up in the devinfo tree.
A single device driver may support a group of similar devices.  The
names may vary because a driver may need to support:
        - similar function but slight design differences, e.g. narrow/wide
          or fast/slow versions of the same board
        - prototype and production boards
The alias name is the same name that will appear in both the devinfo
tree and the /devices name space for that device.  This is also the
same name which will appear in /etc/path_to_inst for that device.

Quote:>Also is it possible to get multiple "instances" (the word "instance"
>used as in the SUN Writing Device Driver manual) of a pseudo device
>driver running? I tried specifying additional lines in the .conf file
>with different values for the instance property but only the first
>line seems to have been used.

Yes, this should work, I have done it.  Proper format is:
name="dev_name" parent="pseudo" instance=0;
name="dev_name" parent="pseudo" instance=1;

jack

Jack Bochsler                   Sun Microsystems Computer Company

619/625-3768                    San Diego, CA 92121-5288

1. Device driver question (generic device driver)

Hi, I post this for a colleague, who is unable to post here, so please

Herbert
Now his questions:

Hello,
I'm currently involved in writing a generic device driver, that
implements some common functions for other real drivers. My problem is:
How can I make sure that the generic driver is loaded first (before the
real driver modules)? Is there any order besides the order in the
/etc/system-file?
How does the OS loads it's own generic driver-modules?
Is it on demand ?
If yes, how is the "demanding" encoded, and where (Is there a defaults
file for this ? Is it hardcoded or can it be configured?) ?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks in advance for your replies!

Yours,

Christian

"Now's the time to impress not suppress your intellect, hold a gun to
 your head, if your mind's dead, blow away the cobweb" TEST DEPT; "bang
 on it" (Metal Edit) CD LEGACY (1990-1993), freud cd 047, efa 75230-2

2. Win XP incompatibilities and forced upgrades

3. New device device driver development tool for Solaris.

4. Sound card, S/PDIF out?

5. Hearing Impaired

6. HELP needed: Solaris PCI device driver, device not auto detected.

7. mnttab problem

8. Solaris device driver question

9. Solaris 2.x device driver questions

10. Solaris device driver questions

11. Solaris x86 2.5.1 device driver question

12. question about Solaris device drivers (/etc/name_to_major and MAE)