Please help with serial printer (QMS) at Sun IPX (Solaris 2.4) !

Please help with serial printer (QMS) at Sun IPX (Solaris 2.4) !

Post by Jan Tim » Fri, 07 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

i have a lot of trouble getting my QMS 410 to work with my Sun IPX
under Solaris over a serial port. Anybody out there, who got a
similar setup to work?

I have the printer hooked up to /dev/term/b, set the printer to 19200 baud
(i tried 9600 baud too), set the stty options with lpadmin etc. I checked
the cable, it's ok and supports hardware flow controll (build according
the IPX Answerbook pages). But i can't get rid of handshaking problems:
When i print a document longer than 1 page, the jobs hangs after a few
pages. Can somebody enlight me, how to set the eeprom settings of the
serial ports, the stty options with lpadmin and the serial line characteristics
on the printer ?

Thanks a lot, Jan

--
Jan G. Timm      System Administration - Computational Linguistics
Universitaet des Saarlandes - Im Stadtwald - D66041 - Saarbruecken

Post by Don Pa » Thu, 13 Jul 1995 04:00:00

: i have a lot of trouble getting my QMS 410 to work with my Sun IPX
: under Solaris over a serial port. Anybody out there, who got a
: similar setup to work?

I've been working on the same setup - an LZR 960 laserprinter to the serial
port of a Sparc IPX.

After much fiddling it seems that 9600 baud with XON/XOFF flow control
works OK. Although to get even this far I removed the port monitor (pmadm)
for /dev/term/a. I'm not convinced this is necessary, though.

The problem I'm having now is that if I change the printer to postscript via:
lpadmin -p lp_dp -T PS
lpadmin -p lp_dp -I PS
it refuses to send anymore jobs to the printer port.

Also I'm using a vt100 terminal in place of the printer for debugging -
its helpful and saves paper.

Don Park
Systems Admin.
Protocol Systems

1. QMS Printer on Solaris 2.4?

I have an old QMS 800 Postscript printer that I'm trying to hook up
(local) to my Sparc 2 (Solaris 2.4).  I used the admin tool to set up
the printer but nothing seems to print.  Files get spooled but just sit there.
Also, I am able to 'tip' to the printer but not give it any direct
commands  (aka. executive).  Has anyone encountered this problem?  Am I
simply missing something very basic?

Any advice or siggestions would be greatly appreciated..

 -Dave

   * TELE-PARABLIZING: Morals used in everyday life that derive from TV
     sitcom plots: "That's just like the episode where Jan lost her
     glasses!"

    SchmitzWare unInc.              WWW:    http://www.schmitzware.com

2. /dev/dsp problem..

3. Sun Sparc/Solaris Serial Ports - Help Please

4. Linux lovers: your OS is a FAD.

5. Printer QMS 1700 on Serial Port

6. Expert Mouse -- only works as 2 button microsoft mouse

7. SUN ISDN 1.0.2 and SUN async PPP (Solaris 2.4)

8. RedHat 4.2 problems with new kernel and modules

9. HELP: HP LaserJet 4p connection to Sun SS5, Solaris 2.4.

10. HELP : build perl 5.001m on sparc/solaris 2.4 with Sun C

11. Printer Server - Solaris 2.4 - Help

12. Solaris 7 v Solaris 2.4 on SUN Classic

13. /etc/printers.conf and QMS printers