How can I export the partition table and reload the partition for disaster?

How can I export the partition table and reload the partition for disaster?

Post by Alex L » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 23:10:07

Dear all,

How can I export the partition table? If I replace a new disk, how can I
reload this partition?

Thanks.

Alex Li

How can I export the partition table and reload the partition for disaster?

Post by Stonewal » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 23:43:44

man prtvtoc
man fmthard

Quote:> Dear all,

> How can I export the partition table? If I replace a new disk, how can I
> reload this partition?

> Thanks.

> Alex Li

How can I export the partition table and reload the partition for disaster?

Post by -wisegu » Sat, 02 Feb 2002 01:04:54

Quote:> Dear all,

> How can I export the partition table? If I replace a new disk, how can I
> reload this partition?

> Thanks.

> Alex Li

man prtvtoc
man fmthard

--
-wiseguy
slummin it in Colorado ski country, while watching the IT industry move

1. need to reload partition table

I need to reload the partition table for a disk in which one of the
partitions is already mounted.  The one that is mounted will NOT be
changed, neither in it's sector position nor in its numbered order.
Trying to do so gets device busy now.  Clearly this is a whole device
busy indication, which shouldn't be applied in my situation.

I do need to get this done, so I'm looking at modifying the kernel.
But dilligence urges me to ask these questions first:

1.  Has anyone already done this?

2.  Any chance 2.4 has this?  I don't see it so far, OTOH, all this
    devfs has sure changed things and I'm not sure it just isn't so
    simple now that it would just work right.

3.  Any suggestions on the approach?

My thought is that instead of checking for the whole drive being busy,
read the partition table into a temporary location and look for the
partitions in the running table which are changed in any way in the new
one.  Check only the changed ones for busy and abort if so.

Alternatively, I could check for the partitions that are busy, and do
a check to see if they change or not.  If not, then make the change.

--
| Phil Howard - KA9WGN | My current websites: linuxhomepage.com, ham.org
| phil  (at)  ipal.net +----------------------------------------------------

2. Ethernet Card

3. bad partition table error during Partition Check

4. Bad disk?

5. Partition check at boot time & fdisk partition table don't agree

6. RH5.1 and M$ IntelliMouse 1.1a

7. Ext2 Partition signature? (Reconstruct Partition Table)

8. SIOCGPGRP filled errno 2 (sendmail bug?)

9. Invalid partition table after partitioning

10. How to read a Win95-partition with partition table with errors.

11. Fix partition 26 from its saved partition table?

12. How to read a Win95-partition with partition table with errors.

13. dos partition/invalid partition table