/etc/dt/config/Xservers

Post by Jason B. Ka » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I'm trying to call Xsun with some different options and I've created a
/etc/dt/config/Xservers.  However, the system continues to source
/usr/dt/config/Xservers instead.  Anyone have any idea what the problem
could be?

This is on Solaris 7/SPARC.

--
Jason Kau
Georgia Tech Research Institute

/etc/dt/config/Xservers

Post by Johan Claesso » Fri, 06 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> I'm trying to call Xsun with some different options and I've created a
> /etc/dt/config/Xservers.  However, the system continues to source
> /usr/dt/config/Xservers instead.  Anyone have any idea what the problem
> could be?

> This is on Solaris 7/SPARC.

> --
> Jason Kau
> Georgia Tech Research Institute

You must copy the file /usr/dt/config/Xconfig as well.
Then change the line 'Dtlogin.servers: /usr/dt/config/Xservers' to
'Dtlogin.servers: /etc/dt/config/Xservers'.

Restart dtlogin and...
...Voila! (Hopefully)

Cheers!
/J

/etc/dt/config/Xservers

Post by jaso » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>>> I'm trying to call Xsun with some different options and I've created a
>>> /etc/dt/config/Xservers.  However, the system continues to source
>>> /usr/dt/config/Xservers instead.  Anyone have any idea what the problem
>>> could be?

>>> This is on Solaris 7/SPARC.
>> You must copy the file /usr/dt/config/Xconfig as well.
>> Then change the line 'Dtlogin.servers: /usr/dt/config/Xservers' to
>> 'Dtlogin.servers: /etc/dt/config/Xservers'.
> This is with Solaris 7 5/99:
> The line in /usr/dt/config/Xservers looks like this:
>   Dtlogin.servers:               Xservers

> A comment in this file suggests, the system looks up this file
> in /etc/dt/config and _then_ in /usr/dt/config.
> In contrast to the advice above, I _only_ copy /usr/dt/config/Xservers to
> /etc/dt/config/, and change the last line to use 24 bit colour depth
> by default:

Ahh but did you reboot?  Xconfig doesn't appear to look at
/etc/dt/config/Xservers until after a reboot.  If I copy ONLY
/usr/dt/config/Xservers to /etc/dt/config/Xservers, resetting
the CDE Login Manager will not make it source /etc/dt/config/Xservers.
However, if I reboot after copying, the CDE Login Manager appears to
look at /etc/dt/config/Xservers and then /etc/dt/config/Xservers from
then on.

--
jason kau

/etc/dt/config/Xservers

Post by ynots.. » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Ahh but did you reboot?  Xconfig doesn't appear to look at
> /etc/dt/config/Xservers until after a reboot.

dtconfig -reset

-  tony

The New Testament offers the basis for modern computer coding theory, in
the form of an affirmation of the binary number system.

-        But let your communication be Yea, yea; nay, nay: for
-        whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
-                -- Matthew 5:37

-

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

/etc/dt/config/Xservers

Post by Ed Rav » Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>> Ahh but did you reboot?  Xconfig doesn't appear to look at
>> /etc/dt/config/Xservers until after a reboot.

>dtconfig -reset

Or if that fails, try:

echo "/etc/init.d/dtlogin stop; /etc/init.d/dtlogin start" | at now

To kill and restart the login manager.  If you're not in an X windows
login, (i.e. telnet or rlogin) then you can dispense with using "at" and
just run the quoted part on the command line.

--
Ed Ravin        |If I were not a little mad and generally silly

                |I should show you in a moment how to grapple with the question
                |And you'd really be astonished at the force of my suggestion.

1. /etc/dt/config/Xservers file not being read!!

I have the following entry in my /etc/dt/config/Xservers

Unfortunately this file is not being read, as Xsun is being started up without
the -ar1 and -ar2 options and is being started up with my userid not
root's as above indicates.

How do you get CDE to read /etc/dt/config/Xserver upon logging in?  I've
been going by the following to fix the auto-repeat rate in CDE and have
tried logging out and resetting via "Reset Login" from the Options menu.

TIA,

Bryan

http://sunsolve.sun.com/private-cgi/us/doc2html?faqs/2598

Document ID: 2598

SYNOPSIS: How to change the keyboard Auto-Repeat rate in CDE

DETAIL DESCRIPTION:

In OpenWindows, it was possible to change the auto-repeat rate of the keyboard
using the -ar1 and -ar2 options.  Although "dtstyle" has the ability to control
autorepeating, it can't adjust the rate.  How is this done?

SOLUTION SUMMARY:

The problem here is that, while switching Auto-Repeat on and off can be done
with an "xset" command, the repeat rate itself must be set in the server as it
starts.  Thus it is not possible for dtstyle to change it while CDE is running.

Instead it is necessary to change the Xservers file that controls the starting
of the X server.

If /etc/dt/config/Xservers does not exist, create it by copying
/usr/dt/config/Xservers there.  Then add "-ar1 <n1> -ar2 <n2>" to the last line,

where <n1> and <n2> are the desired values, thus:

Your actual last line in this file may be different, so take this one as a
guide  only.

Then log out and select "Reset Login" from the Options for these changes to
take effect before the next reboot.

DATE APPROVED: 02/03/99
KEYWORDS:     key keyboard auto repeat autorepeat rate -ar

OS RELEASE:   2.6

2. cramfs

3. /etc/dt/config/Xservers

4. General COBOL question

5. CDE config should source /usr/local/etc/dt/ before /etc/dt/, how ?

6. S3 64V+ (765) & X

7. Difference between XDMCP -query <hostname> and an entry in/usr/dt/config/Xservers ?

8. connecting to the same host through network - which interface?

9. Difference between XDMCP -query <hostname> and an entry in /usr/dt/config/Xservers ?

10. dtwm not finding sys.dtwmrc in /etc/dt/config/$LANG

11. Q: PGx32 /etc/dt/config/

12. /etc/dt/config not being read properly?

13. Fonts for xserver to see "dt-interface" ???