rc2.d daemon won't start on bootup

Post by mos » Sun, 16 May 1999 04:00:00

i have a problem getting a file in my /etc/rc2.d directory to execute
at bootup.   i can manually execute the file and everything works
fine... but it WILL NOT execute on bootup...  the system is a sparc20
using solaris 2.6

here is the contents of the file called "S99filechk"  :

su - moss -c "cd /usr/moss; ./filecheck 7 >filecheck.err 2>&1 &"
echo "FileCheck daemon started"
echo ""

note: the number "7" in the file is a debug level that i am passing
into the program called "filecheck".

any help would be most appreciated.
tia,
moss

1. LPRng/slackware 3.3, lpd won't start properly on bootup...

G'day all...

I'm wondering if anyone has had a problem like this...

I've got two machines running slackware 3.3, and have found that lpd doesn't
start properly on bootup on the print server machine.

For example: if I boot the machine with the printer on it, whilst LPD _is_
running, any attempt to print gives the following:

stubbsy /home/paul 13 > ps -aux | grep LPD
daemon     101  0.0  4.4  1412   676  ?  S   14:20   0:00 LPD
stubbsy /home/paul 14 > lpr .cshrc
stubbsy /home/paul 15 > lpq

 Queue: 1 printable job
 Server: no server active

 Rank   Owner/ID                   Class Job  Files               Size Time

Now, if I unspool the job, kill LPD, then restart it with /usr/sbin/lpd,
any prints after that work fine (ie, my printcap file is configured
correctly).

Has anyone had a problem like this before? I didn't ever have any problems
with lpd back before slackware started supplying LPRng..

Cheers,

Paul.

--

"The growing use of e-mail, not to mention Web-page publishing, threatens to
reverse the trend towards illiteracy among the supposedly educated without at

2. Allow users can use kppp on FreeBSD

3. Network Card Won't Start on Bootup!!

4. mpeg2 decompression driver card

5. apache httpd daemon won't start

6. first attempt at restore backup using tar

7. lpd daemon won't start

8. Linux faxserver!

9. NFS Daemon trouble (won't start)

10. talk daemon won't start