justify veritas clustering for non-production envs

justify veritas clustering for non-production envs

Post by MikeH » Sun, 19 Mar 2006 04:54:14

We usually have cost considerations when deciding if we also want
QC/Dev environments to be clustered besides the Prod env, esp in a
company where IT department is outsourced. We are running
Solaris/Oracle/Veritas FS, VXVM, DMP, VCS.
What other reason(s) for clustering in non-prod env, apart the reason
of being able to test patches/applications in a QC/Dev env before
applying it to Prod? I would like to hear from your experiences,
thoughts. Thank you.

justify veritas clustering for non-production envs

Post by Wolfgan » Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:53:46

MikeHT schrieb:
Quote:> We usually have cost considerations when deciding if we also want
> QC/Dev environments to be clustered besides the Prod env, esp in a
> company where IT department is outsourced. We are running
> Solaris/Oracle/Veritas FS, VXVM, DMP, VCS.
> What other reason(s) for clustering in non-prod env, apart the reason
> of being able to test patches/applications in a QC/Dev env before
> applying it to Prod? I would like to hear from your experiences,
> thoughts. Thank you.

I think the aspect you point out, is sometimes very important. The
handling of Software/Updates/Applications/Analysis could be very
different from an unclustered Environment, e.g. crontab and
Logfiles-Handling and analysis. But despite of that, we often have
developers who are very nervous, when a machine crashes shortly before
deadline  ;-(. But nevertheless the product ist often to expensive to by
also licences for Dev/QS.
Wolfgang

Post by Sanja » Sat, 25 Mar 2006 01:39:37

> We usually have cost considerations when deciding if we also want
> QC/Dev environments to be clustered besides the Prod env, esp in a
> company where IT department is outsourced. We are running
> Solaris/Oracle/Veritas FS, VXVM, DMP, VCS.

I can't speak for Symantec but I'm pretty sure they'll let you run
demo keys in dev/qa environments year round.

So this might help on the cost front.  Unless of course the extra
hardware is the mitigating factor.

Post by Wolfgan » Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:11:34

Sanjay schrieb:

>>We usually have cost considerations when deciding if we also want
>>QC/Dev environments to be clustered besides the Prod env, esp in a
>>company where IT department is outsourced. We are running
>>Solaris/Oracle/Veritas FS, VXVM, DMP, VCS.

> I can't speak for Symantec but I'm pretty sure they'll let you run
> demo keys in dev/qa environments year round.

> So this might help on the cost front.  Unless of course the extra
> hardware is the mitigating factor.

not true, the keys are valid for 3month and you can prolonging for
further three month. You can use news keys, but thats not legal.
Or has Symantec changed the handling with demo-keys?

Post by Robert Milkowsk » Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:22:27

> We usually have cost considerations when deciding if we also want
> QC/Dev environments to be clustered besides the Prod env, esp in a
> company where IT department is outsourced. We are running
> Solaris/Oracle/Veritas FS, VXVM, DMP, VCS.
> What other reason(s) for clustering in non-prod env, apart the reason
> of being able to test patches/applications in a QC/Dev env before
> applying it to Prod? I would like to hear from your experiences,
> thoughts. Thank you.

If cost is such an important factor then maybe you should consider
Sun Cluster which is free now?

--
                                                Robert Milkowski

                                                http://milek.blogspot.com

Post by Sanja » Sun, 26 Mar 2006 09:10:33

> If cost is such an important factor then maybe you should consider
> Sun Cluster which is free now?

Sun Cluster would be a good idea.  They don't have to pay for support in the dev/qa environments.
However, for the production clusters that require commercial support contracts at my company,
Sun Cluster was as expensive as VCS.

-Sanjay

justify veritas clustering for non-production envs

Post by Kapil Sharm » Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:29:52

Is sun cluster different from VCS? I thought sun might be using the
clustering technology from Veritas!!

Thanks
Kapil

Post by Colin B » Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:30:02

> Is sun cluster different from VCS? I thought sun might be using the
> clustering technology from Veritas!!

Nope. Sun Cluster is an entirely different bit of software, and has some
fundamentally different ways of doing things.

Post by Robert Milkowsk » Fri, 31 Mar 2006 14:42:23

> > If cost is such an important factor then maybe you should consider
> > Sun Cluster which is free now?

> Sun Cluster would be a good idea.  They don't have to pay for support in the dev/qa environments.
> However, for the production clusters that require commercial support contracts at my company,
> Sun Cluster was as expensive as VCS.

Have you check JES support (for example only HA group)? Of course
if you qualify (company with over 100 employees).
IIRC it's 70$ x # of employess per year and you have got
support for as many Sun Clusters as you want.

--
                                                Robert Milkowski

                                                http://milek.blogspot.com

1. Sun Cluster 3.0 vs Veritas Cluster Server

I will soon begin a cycle of tests to compare the cluster products
running on Solaris/Sunfire and I am looking for **not commercial or
vendor whitepaper** informations about SC3.0 and/or VCS.

If you are using one of those products (or both ;-)) for your
business, what do you think about their reliability, their plus or
minus, etc... ?

I'll be very interesting in all advices about them.

Jean-Charles Leynadier,
Production Engineer,
CDC-Ixis Capital Markets IT Department.

2. PPP 2.2.0e: Now it works; now it don't

3. Veritas Cluster versus SUN Cluster

4. TCP Window Size

5. Best Practices "Migrating Veritas VCS Cluster to SUN Cluster"

6. aview - interactive ascii-arted image viewer

7. VERITAS cluster server vs. SUN cluster -- Any recommendations ?

8. HELP - Compiling C programs with Berkeley headers

9. Veritas clustering vs SUN clustering

10. Sun Cluster + QFS or Sun Cluster + Veritas

11. Clustering Sun: Sun cluster or Veritas?

12. How to change a crashed production HD w/ Veritas VM or Disk Suite

13. How to change a crashed production HD w/ Veritas VM or Disk