HOW TO: Change PROM password

Post by Jane » Tue, 05 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Inherited an Ultra 5 - with the PROM password set (thank goodness
previous admin. gave me the password) .  Bad thing and I want to remove
the password.   Must do this correctly or have no system at all!!

Can you provide correct command syntax to be issued at the
 -  ok - prompt?
Thanks

HOW TO: Change PROM password

Post by Logan Sh » Tue, 05 Dec 2000 04:00:00

>Inherited an Ultra 5 - with the PROM password set (thank goodness
>previous admin. gave me the password) .  Bad thing and I want to remove
>the password.   Must do this correctly or have no system at all!!

>Can you provide correct command syntax to be issued at the
> -  ok - prompt?

Type "set-defaults".  This should reset just about everything to the
factory defaults.  If that doesn't work, try "password".

For more info, go to http://docs.sun.com/ and search for "openboot".

  - Logan

HOW TO: Change PROM password

Post by Niclas Mor » Wed, 06 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Either from Solaris:
# eeprom security-level=none
or from OBP
ok setenv security-level none

  - Niclas

> Inherited an Ultra 5 - with the PROM password set (thank goodness
> previous admin. gave me the password) .  Bad thing and I want to remove
> the password.   Must do this correctly or have no system at all!!

> Can you provide correct command syntax to be issued at the
>  -  ok - prompt?
> Thanks

HOW TO: Change PROM password

Post by Studd Muffe » Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Then if you want to set a different password type

/usr/sbin/`uname -i`/eeprom security-level=full

You will be prompted for a password.

>Either from Solaris:
># eeprom security-level=none
>or from OBP
>ok setenv security-level none

>  - Niclas

>> Inherited an Ultra 5 - with the PROM password set (thank goodness
>> previous admin. gave me the password) .  Bad thing and I want to remove
>> the password.   Must do this correctly or have no system at all!!

>> Can you provide correct command syntax to be issued at the
>>  -  ok - prompt?
>> Thanks

1. PROM Password.

Hey all,
        I have an old SPARC Station 20 here, which I dug up from the basement so
to speak.  It's running Solaris 8 and I can access one of the user accounts.
However I don't know the root password, and wouldn't mind doing a fresh
install.  The problem is that the previous admin set a PROM password which I
don't know or cannot get access too.  Is there anyways to get around removing
it?  I tried booting the machine without any HDD's however this changed
nothing.  Thanks in advance for your time and replies...
--
regards,
        -mark

http://mark.redbrick.dcu.ie
-
"Trying is the first step towards Failure"- Homer J. Simpson

2. 3COM 3C589C PCMCIA - does it work in Linux?

3. PROM Password help

4. Can't run lilo

5. getting round a PROM password?

6. Too simple a problem to see sh script

7. HELP - PROM password (SS2)

8. ** Video 7 and X11 ? **

9. PROM password problems

10. PROM Password help

11. SparcStation 2 PROM Password

12. Setting security mode and prom password in C

13. Lost PROM Password