ls for Solaris 2.5.1

Post by Bill Cas » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I believe I need a "statically-linked binary" version of ls.

Can anyone here point me to where I can find a copy?

Also, does anyone have any ideas why my 2.5.1 server refuses to retain
its le0 interface and default route configurations when it's rebooted.
I've put a temporary patch into place to restart those, but should the
system do it by default?

Thanks for your help!
Bill

ls for Solaris 2.5.1

Post by Timothy J. L » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

|I believe I need a "statically-linked binary" version of ls.
|Can anyone here point me to where I can find a copy?

GNU ls can be compiled and linked statically, but you'll need to
make a fake libdl.a to link with it.

|Also, does anyone have any ideas why my 2.5.1 server refuses to retain
|its le0 interface and default route configurations when it's rebooted.
|I've put a temporary patch into place to restart those, but should the
|system do it by default?

For the le0 interface configuration, be sure the desired hostname is
in /etc/hostname.le0 and that it is a valid hostname with an IP address
in /etc/inet/hosts (or whatever /etc/hosts is symbolic linked to).

/etc/defaultrouter or something like that is looked at for default
routing information.

Look in the /etc/rc*.d scripts to see what files are referenced.

ls for Solaris 2.5.1

Post by Remove xx to repl » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Bill> I believe I need a "statically-linked binary" version
Bill> of ls.  Can anyone here point me to where I can find a
Bill> copy?

Would this be for a chroot()ed ftp server by any chance?
What you need to do is to use ldd to find which dynamic libs
the binary uses and set up a minimal tree under the chroot()
area.  If this _is_ ftp, get wu-ftp and look in the Solaris
install instructions.

Bill> Also, does anyone have any ideas why my 2.5.1 server
Bill> refuses to retain its le0 interface and default route
Bill> configurations when it's rebooted.  I've put a
Bill> temporary patch into place to restart those, but
Bill> should the system do it by default?

Is the default route set in /etc/defaultrouter?

hth,
tony

ls for Solaris 2.5.1

Post by Marius Stro » Fri, 30 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Great webpage on setting up WU-FTPD for Solaris that tells how to build the
static ls...
http://www.teleport.com/~minerva/wu-ftpd/wuftpd.shtml

Network Administrator, Twister Communications
http://www.twistercom.com

>I believe I need a "statically-linked binary" version of ls.

>Can anyone here point me to where I can find a copy?

>Also, does anyone have any ideas why my 2.5.1 server refuses to retain
>its le0 interface and default route configurations when it's rebooted.
>I've put a temporary patch into place to restart those, but should the
>system do it by default?

>Thanks for your help!
>Bill

ls for Solaris 2.5.1

Post by Matthew R. Pott » Wed, 04 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Actually you could just do "echo *" that will show you all the files
even when the other partitions wont mount etc...  But thats kinda a
lame fix because all you will get is just file names no "ls -la" etc..
options.  beats me why

bash-2.00# ldd /bin/ls
        libc.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libc.so.1
        libdl.so.1 =>    /usr/lib/libdl.so.1

Can anyone think of a way to link thoses libs to ls ? w/o a source
license?  You might be able to copy those two libs and "ls" into /sbin
then set your shell varable, shared lib redirection.

setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH

ahhh anways just some ideas, Someone correct me if i am wrong ;)

Quote:>I believe I need a "statically-linked binary" version of ls.

>Can anyone here point me to where I can find a copy?

>Also, does anyone have any ideas why my 2.5.1 server refuses to retain
>its le0 interface and default route configurations when it's rebooted.
>I've put a temporary patch into place to restart those, but should the
>system do it by default?

Error messages at boot ? btw make a file called /etc/defaultrouter and
put the ip of your gateway in it. you could always just do a
/usr/sbin/sys-unconfig then do a /usr/sbin/sysconfig that should reset
the network info and hostname etc.. then you can just reconfigure it
with sysconfig you wont loose user data or your password file etc...

>Thanks for your help!
>Bill

Regards,

Matthew R. Potter
Bell Atlantic Internet Services
UNIX Security

1. ls in solaris 8

Is there a limit to the number of files in a directory that the
command "ls" can display? We have solaris 8 and whenever the number of
files exceeds a certain limit, seems to be around 3000, it stops
showing ANYTHING. When you type "ls" it just goes to the next command
line.

Is this a feature of solaris that can be configured, or is it
definitely a hack?

Thanks.

David

2. change font in .Xdefault

3. Color LS for Solaris?

4. dump for linux?

5. ISO8859-1 and ls ordering, Solaris 7

6. >> FIREWALL ON LINUX ?? <<

7. /usr/bin/ls /usr/ucb/ls /usr/local/bin/ls

8. ECPA violations (was: How secure is ntalk?)

9. FTP keeps using /usr/bin/ls and not ~/ftp/bin/ls

10. ls -a and ls *

11. ls color highlighting as in the ls command in the slackware distribution

12. Making a boot disk with LS-120 (was Re: LS-120 clicking)

13. Need static ls or ls source...