automountd: trying to mount odd home directories(/home/.htaccess)

automountd: trying to mount odd home directories(/home/.htaccess)

Post by Mark Parke » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I'm seeing an error message in my logs:
automountd[163]: Mount of /homes/.htaccess on /home/.htaccess: No such file
or directory

I know that there is no such directory. My question is, how can I determine
what process would be trying to mount this directory? I see this error with
other files as well. Mainly attempts to mount directories for users who
don't have home directories. webuser for example. I'd love to figure out
what's going on and make it quit. Any thoughts?

-mark

Post by Barry Margoli » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>I'm seeing an error message in my logs:
>automountd[163]: Mount of /homes/.htaccess on /home/.htaccess: No such file
>or directory

>I know that there is no such directory. My question is, how can I determine
>what process would be trying to mount this directory? I see this error with
>other files as well. Mainly attempts to mount directories for users who
>don't have home directories. webuser for example. I'd love to figure out
>what's going on and make it quit. Any thoughts?

From the filename, I expect that it's coming from the web server.

automountd: trying to mount odd home directories(/home/.htaccess)

Post by Brian Leun » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Do you include this directory in the /etc/vfstab?

> I'm seeing an error message in my logs:
> automountd[163]: Mount of /homes/.htaccess on /home/.htaccess: No such file
> or directory

> I know that there is no such directory. My question is, how can I determine
> what process would be trying to mount this directory? I see this error with
> other files as well. Mainly attempts to mount directories for users who
> don't have home directories. webuser for example. I'd love to figure out
> what's going on and make it quit. Any thoughts?

> -mark

automountd: trying to mount odd home directories(/home/.htaccess)

Post by mar.. » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Do you include this directory in the /etc/vfstab?

No.

I'm also seeing attempts to mount home directories of users that don't
have home directories and that nobody knows about(theoretically)
except for me. As far as I know, the automounter should not be
attempting to mount their home directories until a login occours so
I'm puzzled as to what's going on here.

-mark

>> I'm seeing an error message in my logs:
>> automountd[163]: Mount of /homes/.htaccess on /home/.htaccess: No such file
>> or directory

>> I know that there is no such directory. My question is, how can I determine
>> what process would be trying to mount this directory? I see this error with
>> other files as well. Mainly attempts to mount directories for users who
>> don't have home directories. webuser for example. I'd love to figure out
>> what's going on and make it quit. Any thoughts?

>> -mark

1. NCSA server, automountd, Solaris mystery: /home/.htaccess

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it.

I'll have to talk to Mr. root about this - I don't have the privs
on that particular system.  Pity that the HTTPD is messing around
at a level above its own...

Thanks again.  I always dislike non-error messages, they tend to
obscure real error messages, so even tho' they are safe, I like
to get rid of them (not just with grep!).  Wish I could tell HTTPD
not to do this, but as next best thing, I'll ask Mr. root to create
the empty .htaccess.  Cheers

2. Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode

3. jlg058@home.com, tlg62@home.com, egglectric@home.com

4. Career Q: Corp vs. ISP adminning

5. /home and automount maps with many home directory servers

6. Error opening /dev/audio

7. creating user home directories /home/username from /etc/passwd

8. sharing an arbitary directory - apache, linux

9. help: won't create home directories in /home

10. Can't NFS Mount /home/stu on /home/stu

11. 2nd try: amd -vs- home directories...

12. Something keeps trying to mount /home/lib (KDE)

13. How to configure Solaris to auto-mount NFS /home directories?