unencapsulation in Veritas VM 3.2

Post by Danny Stewe » Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:54:42

Hi,

I've tried to unencapsulate root disk resulting in a crash of the
system.We're using Veritas Volume Manager 3.2. Would somebody kindly
point out the correct commands to perform unencapsulation.

Below is what I performed:

1.REMOVE PLEXES
root > vxplex -o rm dis  rootvol-01 rootvol-02
vxvm:vxplex: ERROR: Plex rootvol-02, volume rootvol: Detaching last
plex require
s use of -f

root >   vxplex -f -o rm dis rootvol-02
vxvm:vxplex: ERROR: Enabled Volume rootvol would be left with no
active restrict
ed plexes,violating root usage type.

2. UNROOT
root > /etc/vx/bin/vxunroot

  This operation will convert the following file systems from
  volumes to regular partitions:

        rootvol swapvol var

  ERROR: There are 2 plexes associated with volume swapvol
         The vxunroot operation cannot proceed.
3. TRY TO REMOVE REST OF PLEXES (in vain ;( )
root > vxplex -o rm dis  swapvol-01
root > vxplex -o rm dis  swapvol-02
vxvm:vxplex: ERROR: Plex swapvol-02, volume swapvol: Detaching last
plex require
s use of -f

root > vxmend  off swapvol-02
vxvm:vxmend: ERROR: Plex swapvol-02 is last complete CLEAN or
read-mode plex in
swapvol use -o force to force operation

root > vxmend -o force -g rootdg off rootvol-02

4. TRY TO REMOVE MIRRORS AND CRASH
root > vxassist remove mirror var
Bus Error
root > vxassist remove mirror swapvol
Bus Error

Thank you for your replies,
Danny

unencapsulation in Veritas VM 3.2

Post by zombi » Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:36:59

says...

Quote:

>Hi,

>I've tried to unencapsulate root disk resulting in a crash of the
>system.We're using Veritas Volume Manager 3.2. Would somebody kindly
>point out the correct commands to perform unencapsulation.

>Below is what I performed:

>1.REMOVE PLEXES
>root > vxplex -o rm dis  rootvol-01 rootvol-02
>vxvm:vxplex: ERROR: Plex rootvol-02, volume rootvol: Detaching last
>plex require
>s use of -f

>root >   vxplex -f -o rm dis rootvol-02
>vxvm:vxplex: ERROR: Enabled Volume rootvol would be left with no
>active restrict
>ed plexes,violating root usage type.

Out of the two copies 01 and 02, you have already knocked of rootvol-01, if you
knock of 02 nothing else would remain on the system, so it is not letting you do
that.

Quote:

>2. UNROOT
>root > /etc/vx/bin/vxunroot

>  This operation will convert the following file systems from
>  volumes to regular partitions:

>        rootvol swapvol var

>  ERROR: There are 2 plexes associated with volume swapvol
>         The vxunroot operation cannot proceed.

A plex is one mirror copy of the data. Here you have one copy of var one copy of
root and two copies of swapvol. so it wants you  to delete one copy/plex of
swapvol not both.

Quote:>3. TRY TO REMOVE REST OF PLEXES (in vain ;( )
>root > vxplex -o rm dis  swapvol-01
>root > vxplex -o rm dis  swapvol-02
>vxvm:vxplex: ERROR: Plex swapvol-02, volume swapvol: Detaching last
>plex require
>s use of -f

You are trying to do the same here, you have deleted one plex swapvol-01.
Don't delete the swapvol-02 plex, even if you try it you won't allow you to.

Quote:

>root > vxmend  off swapvol-02
>vxvm:vxmend: ERROR: Plex swapvol-02 is last complete CLEAN or
>read-mode plex in
>swapvol use -o force to force operation

>root > vxmend -o force -g rootdg off rootvol-02>

This mend operation is not required at this point.

Quote:>4. TRY TO REMOVE MIRRORS AND CRASH
>root > vxassist remove mirror var
>Bus Error
>root > vxassist remove mirror swapvol
>Bus Error

You have already knocked of your mirroring when you delete the plexes.
rootvol-01,swapvol-01,var-01 .

run the following command

#vxprint -ht -g rootdg

to make sure you see one plex pl for each volume v in the output.
Make sure each plex has a subdisk sd on the same hard drive. cxtxdxs? whatever.

Now when you have confirmed that you have only one copy of rootdisk related
volumes like rootvol,var,swapvol,etc on the same hard drive . Then do the
unencapsulation.
The 3.5 administrators guide explains this unencapsulation process in great
detail.

Quote:

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:48:00

> Hi,
> I've tried to unencapsulate root disk resulting in a crash of the
> system.We're using Veritas Volume Manager 3.2. Would somebody kindly
> point out the correct commands to perform unencapsulation.

Did you look in the admin guide?  VxVM Admin Guide for Solaris.
"Unencapsulating the Root Disk" is on page 77.

1. Use the vxplex command to remove all the plexes of the volume
   'rootvol', 'swapvol', 'usr', 'var', 'opt', and 'home' on the disks
   other than the root disk.
2. Run the vxunroot utility.

Quote:> Below is what I performed:
> 1.REMOVE PLEXES
> root > vxplex -o rm dis  rootvol-01 rootvol-02
> vxvm:vxplex: ERROR: Plex rootvol-02, volume rootvol: Detaching last
> plex require
> s use of -f

You can't remove both plexes from an in-use volume.  You shouldn't touch
the plex on the root disk.

Since you've removed rootvol-01, I'm assuming you want the disk with
rootvol-02 to be your new root disk.  Is that correct?

Quote:> root >   vxplex -f -o rm dis rootvol-02
> vxvm:vxplex: ERROR: Enabled Volume rootvol would be left with no
> active restrict
> ed plexes,violating root usage type.
> 2. UNROOT
> root > /etc/vx/bin/vxunroot
>   This operation will convert the following file systems from
>   volumes to regular partitions:
>         rootvol swapvol var
>   ERROR: There are 2 plexes associated with volume swapvol
>          The vxunroot operation cannot proceed.

Right.  You've got one plex off root and var, now you just need one off
swap.

Quote:> 3. TRY TO REMOVE REST OF PLEXES (in vain ;( )
> root > vxplex -o rm dis  swapvol-01
> root > vxplex -o rm dis  swapvol-02
> vxvm:vxplex: ERROR: Plex swapvol-02, volume swapvol: Detaching last
> plex require
> s use of -f

It wasn't in vain.  You removed the duplicate plex on swapvol.  Now run
the vxunroot again.

Quote:> root > vxmend  off swapvol-02
> vxvm:vxmend: ERROR: Plex swapvol-02 is last complete CLEAN or
> read-mode plex in
> swapvol use -o force to force operation
> root > vxmend -o force -g rootdg off rootvol-02

Stop that.  Do you know what you're doing here at all?

Quote:> 4. TRY TO REMOVE MIRRORS AND CRASH
> root > vxassist remove mirror var
> Bus Error
> root > vxassist remove mirror swapvol
> Bus Error

Ugh..

You're supposed to remove all plexes from your root volumes except for
one.  You want that one to reside on the same disk.  That will be your
root disk.  This is the same concept on VxVM as it is on SDS/LVM.

After you've done that, you run a program to stop using the mirror for a
root volume.  This is 'vxunroot' on VxVM and 'metaroot' on SDS/LVM.  You
will then modify /etc/vfstab for any other volumes you need.

Next you reboot so that you stop using the volumes.  Now that volumes
are not in use, you can modify them, delete them, whatever.

Why are you unencapsulating anyway?

--

Senior Technical Consultant         TAOS            http://www.taos.com/

1. Rootdisk mirroring with Veritas VM 3.2

Anybody know where I can find a good set of instructions on how to do this
on the web.  I am new to veritas and need to get this up and running.
Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Michael Ayers

-----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!  ==-----

2. Detecting a file older than n minutes

3. Porblem veritas 3.2 cluster 3.2 import e deport disk group

4. using indir to mount /dev/sr0

5. Help !!! unencapsulation of root disk in Veritas

6. samba adn win95

7. Veritas VM vs Sun VM

8. Using NT 4.0 Bootmanager & LILO

9. Veritas Netbackup 3.2

10. Veritas File System 3.2 Basic Package

11. Veritas Quick I/O Comments and How-To (v3.3.2)

12. How to unmirror root volume in Veritas Volume Manager (v 3.2 & 3.5)

13. Veritas Quick I/O Comments and How-To (v3.3.2)