logchecker on Solaris 9

Post by Jen Luis » Wed, 21 Jan 2004 01:54:06

Hey there,

Noticed a strange thing on Solaris 9 and wondered what was going on with
it, if anything.  My three installations of Sol 9 each have
/etc/cron.d/logchecker running out of the root crontab file.  But alas,
there's no /etc/cron.d/logchecker script on the box!!!  It's on my Sol 8
machines, but not Sol 9.  Weird.  I can certainly just copy it over, but
it seems kinda lame on Sun's part. . .

Jen

"I can't say I was ever lost, but I was bewildered once for three days."

                                                --Daniel Boone

logchecker on Solaris 9

Post by Tony Walto » Wed, 21 Jan 2004 02:15:09

 > Hey there,
 >
 > Noticed a strange thing on Solaris 9 and wondered what was going on
 > with it, if anything.  My three installations of Sol 9 each have
 > /etc/cron.d/logchecker running out of the root crontab file.

Odd.  That shouldn't be there - the logchecker functionality has been
replaced by logadm. On a Solaris 9 box the root crontab entry is

10 3 * * * /usr/sbin/logadm

I wonder if this system has been upgraded from Solaris 8 and somebody
has blindly replaced the root crontab entry with one from a Solaris 8
box. I *thought* the Solaris upgrade process did the right thing here
(though IMBW)...

 > But alas, there's no /etc/cron.d/logchecker script on the box!!!

Correct,  See /etc/logadm.conf

 > It's on my Sol 8 machines, but not Sol 9.  Weird.  I can certainly
 > just copy it over, but it seems kinda lame on Sun's part. . .

What does? Agreed, not leaving cron.d/logchecker around but consisting
solely of a comment like this:

# NOTE: This script is no longer used -- see logadm(1M)

does seem a pity (the comment above is from /usr/lib/newsyslog, by the
way, which has also been superceded by logadm).

--
Tony

logchecker on Solaris 9

Post by Jen Luis » Wed, 21 Jan 2004 03:27:18

Thanks for the info!  I think our root crontab file is indeed a relic of
a forgotten automated in-house process which I am now going to fix.

Thanks again!

Jen

>  > Hey there,

>  > Noticed a strange thing on Solaris 9 and wondered what was going on
>  > with it, if anything.  My three installations of Sol 9 each have
>  > /etc/cron.d/logchecker running out of the root crontab file.

> Odd.  That shouldn't be there - the logchecker functionality has been
> replaced by logadm. On a Solaris 9 box the root crontab entry is

> 10 3 * * * /usr/sbin/logadm

> I wonder if this system has been upgraded from Solaris 8 and somebody
> has blindly replaced the root crontab entry with one from a Solaris 8
> box. I *thought* the Solaris upgrade process did the right thing here
> (though IMBW)...

>  > But alas, there's no /etc/cron.d/logchecker script on the box!!!

> Correct,  See /etc/logadm.conf

>  > It's on my Sol 8 machines, but not Sol 9.  Weird.  I can certainly
>  > just copy it over, but it seems kinda lame on Sun's part. . .

> What does? Agreed, not leaving cron.d/logchecker around but consisting
> solely of a comment like this:

> # NOTE: This script is no longer used -- see logadm(1M)

> does seem a pity (the comment above is from /usr/lib/newsyslog, by the
> way, which has also been superceded by logadm).

> --
> Tony

"I can't say I was ever lost, but I was bewildered once for three days."

                                                --Daniel Boone

1. logchecker message

Active System Attack Alerts
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
sh: unexpected EOF while looking for `"'
sh: -c: line 2: syntax error

Unusual System Events
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Jan 19 09:34:59 www identd[19754]: Connection from some_isp.net
Jan 19 09:34:59 www identd[19754]: from: xxx.xxx.xxx.x ( some_isp.net )
for: 1181, 25

Hello, we keep getting a few of these each day. Sometimes ten or more.
Any ideas what it means?

Thanks!
John Jacques

2. Netcscape6 not launching

3. logchecker fails in 2.6

4. zip_drive with kerneld?

5. where logchecker

6. Compiling trn under ELF

7. security and logchecker?

8. One more scsi question?? Aic-2950

9. SunOS 5.6 vs Solaris 2.6 vs Solaris 7 vs Solaris 8

10. FS: SOLARIS 7 SERVER, SOLARIS EASY ACCESS 2.0, SOLARIS 2.6 KIT

11. quota problems between solaris and solaris machines, and solaris and sunos4.1.3 machines.

12. Solaris 10 (build 63) upgrade fails on Solaris 8 as well as Solaris 9 sparcs

13. Solaris to solaris unstable, Solaris to HPUX stable??