DHCP Server does not give good lease period

DHCP Server does not give good lease period

Post by jacques.clem.. » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

When installing DHCP server on Solaris 2.6, we saw that it cannot give
us something else than 1 hour for lease duration. The only workaround we
found out is to use the permanent lease! Configuring DYNAMIC does not
seem to work, regardless of the actual duration we set up in the server
(again, it will always give clients a 1 hour duration lease).

Does anybody have any idea/experience?

Thanks in advance.

Jacques.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Ken Feli » Sat, 30 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Hi there,

> When installing DHCP server on Solaris 2.6, we saw that it cannot give
> us something else than 1 hour for lease duration. The only workaround we
> found out is to use the permanent lease! Configuring DYNAMIC does not
> seem to work, regardless of the actual duration we set up in the server
> (again, it will always give clients a 1 hour duration lease).

> Does anybody have any idea/experience?

> Thanks in advance.

> Jacques.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

What implemntation of DHCP server are you using ? Under the ISC dhcp
server,  you need to specifiy the max-lease  time. I pasted a copy of my
dhcpd.conf cfg below.

FYI: I never used the dhcp server that ships with solaris.

proteus# cat dhcp.conf
option domain-name "test.com";
option domain-name-servers 172.16.0.181;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;

subnet 172.16.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        range 172.16.0.128 172.16.0.129;
        option broadcast-address 172.16.0.255;
        option routers 172.16.0.1;
        default-lease-time 6000;
        max-lease-time 60000;

Quote:}

#host book {
#  hardware ethernet 00:00:83:ae:22:88;
#  fixed-address book;
#}

1. no dhcp leases in leases file

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask a question like the
following, so please tell me if this not the right place, further I'm quite
a freebsd newbie so please forgive me asking this if it seems to be
obvious...

The question is:

I've installed a dhcp server as described in the freebsd handbook on my
freshly installed FBSD 4.6 box and it works perfectly: my windows clients
all get their ip-adresses and stuff - but the leases do not appear in the
/var/db/hdcpd.leases file - afaik they should appear there ... would you
please explain to me what's the problem...??

Thanks in advance, bye
Max

--
Max Wiertz

2. Gates admits MS "engineers" suck?

3. My home dialup server does not give DHCP

4. Linux First Time setup on PC-Clone

5. My home dialup server does not give DHCP.

6. sendmail / dns problem?

7. solaris dhcp server not giving out more IPs

8. Comments wanted on various ftape drives.

9. Linux ppp server, remote IP given by DHCP server?

10. DHCP not renewing lease

11. DHCP not renegotiating after a lease expiration

12. dhcp.leases file not rotating

13. Linux DHCP leases not expiring -revisted