Question about DNS

Post by Cheung Chung Keun » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 12:22:00

Hi,

I have just setup two Solaris and each have a Bind 8. Each of DNS works
properly. However, when I try set one of them to be primary master and
their to be secondary master, it seems that they can't update the other.

I have add allow-transfer option in named.conf, but it doesn't work.

Do anyone tell me what I need to do ?

Thanks.
Eddy

Question about DNS

Post by Dennis Peterso » Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:27:38

> Hi,

> I have just setup two Solaris and each have a Bind 8. Each of DNS works
> properly. However, when I try set one of them to be primary master and
> their to be secondary master, it seems that they can't update the other.

> I have add allow-transfer option in named.conf, but it doesn't work.

> Do anyone tell me what I need to do ?

> Thanks.
> Eddy

On the system that is the slave delete all the slaved files (as
described as slave in /etc/named.conf), then kill -HUP the in.named
daemon on that system. This should cause a zone transfer to begin from
the master to the slave and which should update the local DNS tables. If
it doesn't (ps -ef |grep named, look for named-xfer), more info is
needed: /etc/named.conf from both systems, contents of named tables
directory, ownership/permissions of all the related files.

If you are going to be working with BIND for very long, get Paul Albitz
and Cricket Liu's fine O'Reilley DNS and BIND book (has a cricket on the
cover) and read through the salient sections on setting up DNS. There is
also a useful web site, www.domtools.com, where you can explore your own
DNS environment from an external viewpoint (assuming it is visible to
the Internet). Also get to know nslookup and get a copy of dig - both
are essential tools for debugging DNS.

Dennis Peterson
CTO, One Stop Consulting, Inc.
Seattle, WA ... http://ThinkUNIX.com

1. ifconfig question and DNS/DIG question

Hello,

Thanks for reading this posting!

I have two questions.

In slackware linux (not sure about other releases), typing ifconfig
without any switches displays your Network interfaces.  Among the output
of the command for each interface is; packets TX and packets RX.  I need
either one of two things.  I need to know how big a packet is?  How many
bytes, et cetera.  I don't think there is a way to do this however, I
have a feeling after some digging around that data packets can be of
varying size.  If this is the case, I need to know if there is a utility
that shows total transmitted bytes and received bytes since the
interface's been initialized/brought up.  We're having some problems
with our ISP regarding billing and our metered T1!  In AIX there's the
entstat command.  A command like this for Linux would be perfect!
Thanks.

Second, is anyone else running DNS/BIND having trouble getting an
updated list/keeping thier db.cache file current??  The HOWTO files on
DNS recommend running the following command:

I'm getting the following output:

res_nsend to server rs.internic.net  198.41.0.6: Connection timed out

I've ftp'd to thier site but am confused about which file to get!  A
friend of mine has a shell account at her school, I've tried this from
thier machine with the same results, so I don't think it's just me.
I've been using the above dig command in a script for more than a year
now.  Anyone know what's going on/an alternative?

Thanks!

--
John Emery
System Administrator

Sue Mills, Inc.
1840 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102

http://www.suemills.com

2. Serverwatch News - Oct 3, 1997

3. Question about DNS

4. postscript fonts and Openwin

5. Question About DNS

6. how to config zsh's rprompt's behavior?

7. Question about DNS and Telnet interaction

8. Wacom Graphire USB with Xinerama

9. newbie questions on dns, ftp and telnet

10. Some beginner questions about DNS in Linux.

11. Question with DNS - CNAME errors

12. Question on DNS

13. A question about DNS!