solaris x86 with more than 2 ide controllers?

solaris x86 with more than 2 ide controllers?

Post by Ed Rav » Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:00:00

The Solaris x86 FAQ says:

--------------
(4.12) How can I get Solaris to see the third ATAPI controller?

You can't. The third and fourth ATAPI controllers cannot be used--only
the first two ATAPI controllers are supported.

[Thanks to Mike Riley]
--------------

I suppose this is just wishful thinking, but is there any chance that
this is fixed in Solaris 8?
--
Ed Ravin  |   Java jar files without any classes

panix.com |   Routers that fail to respond to a ping
          |   These are a few of my favorite things.

solaris x86 with more than 2 ide controllers?

Post by Bruce Adle » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> The Solaris x86 FAQ says:

> --------------
> (4.12) How can I get Solaris to see the third ATAPI controller?

> You can't. The third and fourth ATAPI controllers cannot be used--only
> the first two ATAPI controllers are supported.

> [Thanks to Mike Riley]
> --------------

> I suppose this is just wishful thinking, but is there any chance that
> this is fixed in Solaris 8?

Unlikely since Mike Riley is basically wrong. Solaris 7 can be
configured to support any ATA/ATAPI compliant controller which doesn't
conflict with any existing device. The key factor is that its interfaces
must be complaint with the ATA/ATAPI specs. In other words, you need two
ranges of non-conflicting I/O ports, and an free IRQ, and hardware that's
compliant with at least the ATA-2 and SFF-8020 specs. If it's a legacy-ISA
ATA controller than you'll have to manually configure everything via the
DCA menus because the DCA only automatically probes for ISA-IDE devices
at the two standard address ranges. If you're adding a compliant PnP-ISA
ATA/ATAPI controller or a compliant PCI-IDE controller then the DCA should
automatically configure everything for you because all PnP-ISA-IDE and
PCI-IDE devices are self-identifying devices.

The problem you're likely to encounter is there aren't many compliant
add-in ATA/ATAPI controllers available. Most of them want to do revolting
things like share ISA IRQs 14 or 15, or advertise the wrong range of
I/O ports or don't specify the right PCI-IDE class bytes. In particular
most SoundBlaster-IDE cards have a broken Alternate-Status register.
The Solaris 7 ata driver assumes that the Alternate-Status register works
as specified in the ATA-2 spec. Unlike the other non-compliant hardware
problems, there's a trivial workaround for the SB-IDE hardware bug (i.e.,
don't use the Alt-Status register) but I've no idea whether anyone at Sun
has spent the 15 minutes it would take to apply the fix to Solaris 8.

If you've got an add-in ATA/ATAPI controller card that doesn't come with
specs that clearly spell out that it won't conflict with your existing
controllers, or if it requires you to disable any built-in controllers,
then that's almost certainly one of those bogus controllers that isn't
fully compliant with the ATA/ATAPI specs. I haven't yet found a legacy-ISA
ATA/ATAPI card that works correctly (they all want seem to want to
share IRQ 14 or 15), but people persist in telling me they exist. If you
do find a compliant one then the Solaris 7 ata driver will work with it
just fine.

Post by patrick.them.. » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> [...]

> don't use the Alt-Status register) but I've no idea whether anyone at
Sun
> has spent the 15 minutes it would take to apply the fix to Solaris 8.

> If you've got an add-in ATA/ATAPI controller card that doesn't come
with
> specs that clearly spell out that it won't conflict with your existing
> controllers, or if it requires you to disable any built-in
controllers,
> then that's almost certainly one of those bogus controllers that isn't
> fully compliant with the ATA/ATAPI specs. I haven't yet found a
legacy-ISA
> ATA/ATAPI card that works correctly (they all want seem to want to
> share IRQ 14 or 15), but people persist in telling me they exist. If
you
> do find a compliant one then the Solaris 7 ata driver will work with

sorry to be opinionated on this -
but solaris is for 'real work' anyway,
so if you need more than 2 or 3 disks,
use scsi, use scsi, use scsi.
--
'...' said the joker to the thief
'there's too much confusion, i cant get no relief...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

solaris x86 with more than 2 ide controllers?

Post by Ed Rav » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

[how to use more than 2 IDE controllers with Solaris x86]

Quote:>Unlikely since Mike Riley is basically wrong. Solaris 7 can be
>configured to support any ATA/ATAPI compliant controller which doesn't
>conflict with any existing device. The key factor is that its interfaces
>must be complaint with the ATA/ATAPI specs. In other words, you need two
>ranges of non-conflicting I/O ports, and an free IRQ, and hardware that's
>compliant with at least the ATA-2 and SFF-8020 specs.

Do you know of any PCI IDE controllers that are known to work properly?
We need reasonably high performance for this particular application, so I
don't plan on using any ISA cards.

Thanks,

        -- Ed
--

Post by Philip Bro » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>[how to use more than 2 IDE controllers with Solaris x86]
>Do you know of any PCI IDE controllers that are known to work properly?
>We need reasonably high performance for this particular application, so I
>don't plan on using any ISA cards.

presumably, an intel PCI card,if they make em.

The word of the day is mispergitude

solaris x86 with more than 2 ide controllers?

Post by bo » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I came here to ask similar question.

I have just installed Solaris 8 on intel. I love it. The only
thing I have no idea how to figure is that it looks like Solaris
does not the disks on my second IDE card.

I have PROMISE ATA/66 PCI card installed. I have 4 IDE disks
* off that card. When I installed Solaris, the installation
did NOT show any of thoses disks in the list of available disks to use.

Also, now that I have Solaris installed (on c0d0), how do I find
if it sees the other IDE disks? what will they be called? what
is the naming convention for disks? I assume they will be disk 4,5,6,7
(since first IDE disk is disk 0).

I need to use fdisk command, but need to know what the device name is.

I'll go now and check on Sun web page to see if Solarisx86 supports
promise cards or not. may be all I need is to install a driver for it?

bob

solaris x86 with more than 2 ide controllers?

Post by Tyler Mitche » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

If you really need performance, why not go with a PCI SCSI controller?

--
Tyler Mitchell

>Do you know of any PCI IDE controllers that are known to work properly?
>We need reasonably high performance for this particular application, so I
>don't plan on using any ISA cards.

>Thanks,

>    -- Ed
>--
>Ed Ravin  |   Java jar files without any classes

>panix.com |   Routers that fail to respond to a ping
>          |   These are a few of my favorite things.

solaris x86 with more than 2 ide controllers?

Post by bo » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>I need to use fdisk command, but need to know what the device name is.

Ok, I found it. needed to do 'touch /reconfigure' and reboot. Then
the format command lists the devices.

Still can't get Solaris8 to see IDE disks on the promise utlra ata/66
PCI card though...

bob

solaris x86 with more than 2 ide controllers?

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>Do you know of any PCI IDE controllers that are known to work properly?
>We need reasonably high performance for this particular application, so I
>don't plan on using any ISA cards.

You want reasonable high performance?

Use SCSI (the fastest type) or limit your disks to one per IDE
controller.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

solaris x86 with more than 2 ide controllers?

Post by Bruce Adle » Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Do you know of any PCI IDE controllers that are known to work properly?
> We need reasonably high performance for this particular application, so I
> don't plan on using any ISA cards.

Why do you want to mess around with a PCI-IDE addin card. What you should
really do is forget about PCI-IDE cards and just buy a motherboard with an
supported PCI-IDE controler. The Intel PIIX4 southbridge chip should work
just fine.

About two years ago, I had a PCI-IDE add card from SIIG that worked, but I
gave it away and can't tell you what its model number. I also had
a different model $15 SIIG card which didn't work which I tossed in the
trashcan. Besides, SIIG has probably changed the chip on their PCI-IDE
card a dozen times since then. The board I had might have had a Winbond
or UMC chip but I'm certain the ones you'll find in the stores nowadays
will have different chip numbers.

Post by Philip Bro » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>>I need to use fdisk command, but need to know what the device name is.

>Ok, I found it. needed to do 'touch /reconfigure' and reboot. Then
>the format command lists the devices.

>Still can't get Solaris8 to see IDE disks on the promise utlra ata/66
>PCI card though...

which should not be surprising to you, seeing as how that is not a
supported controller, last I checked.

The word of the day is mispergitude

solaris x86 with more than 2 ide controllers?

Post by Ed Rav » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>You want reasonable high performance?

>Use SCSI (the fastest type) or limit your disks to one per IDE
>controller.

Actually, limiting the disks to one per IDE controller is exactly
what we were planning - hence the desire for four IDE controllers,
which would give us four reasonably inexpensive, reasonably performing
drives.

What worries me is that Sun's Hardware Compatibility List does not
list any add-in IDE cards.  And none of the replies to this thread
have stated an exact model that they think works.  Maybe it's my turn
to be the guinea pig...
--

Post by Bruce Adle » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I have PROMISE ATA/66 PCI card installed. I have 4 IDE disks
>* off that card. When I installed Solaris, the installation
> did NOT show any of thoses disks in the list of available disks to use.

The Promise product isn't compliant with the "PCI-IDE Controller
Specification". It also doesn't appear to be compliant with the
"Programming Interface for the Bus Mastering IDE Controller" spec.
The Solaris ata driver currently only supports PCI-IDE cards that
accurately follow the first spec and only supports DMA mode on cards
which also accurately implement the second (optional) spec.

If there are minor differences then someone with access to the Solaris
driver source and a copy of Promises's hardware reference manual might
be able to patch the driver and make it work. Or if there are trivial
differences it might simply require a trivial update to a Solaris
configuration file. But as far as I know neither the driver sources nor
any documentation from Promise are publicly available. So there may in
fact be major differences between the specs and the Promise implementation
but it's impossible to tell one way or the other.

Quote:> Also, now that I have Solaris installed (on c0d0), how do I find
> if it sees the other IDE disks?

You do a reconfigure reboot. If you were using a supported controller
then it would have shown up in /dev/dsk and in the output listing
from prtconf.

Quote:> what will they be called?

/dev/dsk/cXdYp0 or /dev/rdsk/cXdYp0.

Where X is some value larger than what your system already has in use,
and Y is 0 or 1 (depending on how your drives are jumpered). The actual
value for X varies from system to system and depends on the order in
which the kernel discovers your disk controllers. Previously used values
of X are never re-used so if you move your controller from slot to slot
it gets assigned a new controller number (X+1) each time you reboot your
system.

Quote:> what is the naming convention for disks?

See the "FILES" section of the cmdk(7D) man page.

Quote:> I assume they will be disk 4,5,6,7
> (since first IDE disk is disk 0).

No. See the "FILES" section of the cmdk(7D) man page.

Quote:> I need to use fdisk command, but need to know what the device name is.

Run the "format" command instead. If "format" is started without any
command line arg it will give you a complete list of all the valid device
pathnames. Select one of them from the list and then run fdisk from the
format submenu.

Quote:> I'll go now and check on Sun web page to see if Solarisx86 supports
> promise cards or not. may be all I need is to install a driver for it?

Next time, check first.

1. Installing IDE Controller; Installing Solaris 7 x86

I am having trouble installing Solaris 7 x86.  The problem seems to be that my
PnP sound card is using IRQ 15, but the device "PCI: Bus Mastering IDE
Controller" (The IDE Controller) uses IRQs 14 and 15.  So a conflict occurs.  I
am unable to remove the sound card device because it is plug and play, however
I dont want to remove the card altogether.  My only alternative is to somehow
reinstall the IDE Controller.  The Solaris 7 Device Configuration Assisstant
allows you to install/re-install devices, and set their resources.  So I went
down the list of devices and installed an IDE Controller and set the resources
to IRQ 12s (s because its shared with PS/2 mouse) and 14.  Then the device
shows up as "ISA: IDE Controller).  But then when I "Continue", the Device
Configuration Assistant says "Unable to locate any bootable drives".  So I
think the IDE Controller is not being installed properly.  How can I install
the IDE Controller during setup and get it to work?  what settings should I
use?  Is it OK to share with other IRQs?  What might I be doing wrong?  Thank
you for your help.

2. Giving *BSD a try

3. Solaris x86 & third IDE controller - is it possible?

4. Mouse Problems - Mouse Systems 3 button

5. x86 PCI IDE controller.

6. hereis doc: 1st character feeding works, 2nd (CR) doesn't

7. Fix for promise RAID controllers not working as IDE controllers in 2.4.19

8. Kernal 1.3.71 killed httpd HELP!!!

9. IDE controller cards with >= 4 *independent* controllers?

10. IDE Controller w/ changable IRQ (use as second controller)

11. Built-in IDE controller: secondary controller very slow

12. Solaris 2.4 X86 with AHA2940 Controller

13. Swap SCSI controller on Solaris 2.6 x86