setup smtp server

Post by abb.. » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 06:49:30

Hi,

I am trying to setup a smtp server, outbound only on a Solaris box. We
have some applications need to send out alerts. On the configuration
field, it's asking the address for smtp server. Is there a document
describing such smtp server setup?

Thanks.

Chris

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

setup smtp server

Post by ynots.. » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 07:30:21

Quote:> I am trying to setup a smtp server, outbound only on a Solaris box. We
> have some applications need to send out alerts. On the configuration
> field, it's asking the address for smtp server. Is there a document
> describing such smtp server setup?

Well, I'll assume you know what is meant by the server's address.

To enable outbound only, you need to disable sendmail starting as a
daemon:

# /etc/rc2.d/S88sendmail stop
# mv /etc/rc2.d/S88sendmail /etc/rc2.d/disabled.S88sendmail

That's all there is to it.

-   tony

-

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

setup smtp server

Post by abb.. » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 00:48:53

Thanks tony.

I changed something in sendmail.cf on this solaris box, and now it's
able to send out mail. However, when I configure applications on
another NT box by entering the solaris box's ip address(it asks for
smtp server ip address), nothing happens. I mean no mail was sent out.
I was reading solaris manual, should I setup the solaris as a mail
host, or mail server, mail gateway?

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

> > I am trying to setup a smtp server, outbound only on a Solaris box.
We
> > have some applications need to send out alerts. On the configuration
> > field, it's asking the address for smtp server. Is there a document
> > describing such smtp server setup?

> Well, I'll assume you know what is meant by the server's address.

> To enable outbound only, you need to disable sendmail starting as a
> daemon:

> # /etc/rc2.d/S88sendmail stop
> # mv /etc/rc2.d/S88sendmail /etc/rc2.d/disabled.S88sendmail

> That's all there is to it.

> -   tony

> -

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

setup smtp server

Post by Ken Feli » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 01:26:14

> Thanks tony.

> I changed something in sendmail.cf on this solaris box, and now it's
> able to send out mail. However, when I configure applications on
> another NT box by entering the solaris box's ip address(it asks for
> smtp server ip address), nothing happens. I mean no mail was sent out.
> I was reading solaris manual, should I setup the solaris as a mail
> host, or mail server, mail gateway?

> Thanks again for your help.

> Chris

> > > I am trying to setup a smtp server, outbound only on a Solaris box.
> We
> > > have some applications need to send out alerts. On the configuration
> > > field, it's asking the address for smtp server. Is there a document
> > > describing such smtp server setup?

> > Well, I'll assume you know what is meant by the server's address.

> > To enable outbound only, you need to disable sendmail starting as a
> > daemon:

> > # /etc/rc2.d/S88sendmail stop
> > # mv /etc/rc2.d/S88sendmail /etc/rc2.d/disabled.S88sendmail

> > That's all there is to it.

> > -   tony

> > -

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

what are you trying to do?

Allow the solaris box to relay client mail out to the real-world ?

If this is the case you will need to run sendmail and allow relaying for
you're host(s)/network etc.... via the properly controls.

go to http://www.sendmail.org  and look at the FAQ

1. SMTP on RH 7.3 Distro, using POP and SMTP on another server

I'm running RH 7.3 on a BookPC, and pretty happy actually
with the look and feel, the easy setup (amazing, RH around 5.x was
actually impossible for me to setup and I ain't no dumby, or am I).
I have POP accounts and SMTP access to those accounts for Mail
and want to use them.  I have got POP working, but the KMail seems
to not allow me to use a remote SMTP, forcing me to use the local
SMTP.  I really want to SMTP login at my mail host service and would
like to know if there is a way to do it.  Otherwise this is a step
backwards for me email-wise.  Thanks, if you would email me directly
I dont read Linux groups much, and really appreciate your help!

Best wishes

2. Emacs/Slackware BUG

3. Postfix needs smtp server setup voor contacting ISP?

4. Compiling rxvt 2.16

5. Setup smtp/pop3 server

6. AX41 + RH5.0 + TriTeal CDE

7. SMTP Server Setup

8. Jdk 1.2.2-beta and shujit problem

9. SMTP only listens on host.domain.com:smtp want *:smtp

10. Setup Question: I want to know the best way to setup an SMTP spooler for Exchange

11. running smtp server and pop3 server on same machine ?

12. Sending emails from a AIX server using a smtp server

13. SMTP server to POP server