old version-2.6, new question-Intel 810 VGA

old version-2.6, new question-Intel 810 VGA

Post by AlleyStyle Postmaste » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 05:28:49

I m trying install the 2.6 on a Compaq Deskpro with Intel 810 VGA card, how
to install the VGA driver?

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 12:15:54

> I m trying install the 2.6 on a Compaq Deskpro with Intel 810 VGA card,
> how to install the VGA driver?

http://www.xfree86.org and http://sun.drydog.com/faq

1. Beginner question: Intel 810 chipset video

Hi,

I've recently purchased my first home computer
with the intent of teaching myself the c++ programming
language.  My original idea was to buy Microsoft
Visual c++ and have at it but a number of people
I talked to urged me to install Linux and use the
c/c++ compiler that comes with Linux.  I liked this
idea because I have been programming on Unix
systems at work for the last 20 years.

I found an HP Pavillion 4000 series system with what
seemed to me a tremendous amound of CPU power,
main memory and hard disk space for a low cost.

As I investigate the Linux side of the equation I find
that I have a possibly unsupported video chipset, the
Intel 810.  I have read some posts on this newsgroup
that indicate that current versions of Linux do not
support this video setup. (I am also concerned that
my 56K fax modem might not be supported in Linux
but I could live without network access from Linux.)

My questions are:  How long does it usually take for
someone to support a new video system like the Intel
810?  How difficult would it be for me to modify
existing video driver software to work with this
chipset (that way I would be contributing to Linux as
well as using it)? Can I just buy another video card
to install in my computer that would make the video
work or would that interfere with the existing setup?

Thanks for any useful information you can provide!

 -Dyer

--

  -Dyer Lytle in Tucson
   Cassini ISS Software Engineer

2. memory leak in mem_read(fs/proc/base.c), 2.4.20

3. replacing old version of netscape with new version

4. [2.4] generic support for systems with more than 8 CP Us (2/2)

5. Installing new patch version w/o backing out old version

6. Max memory usage per process?

7. X-server for Intel 810 'Whitney' chipset (or i752)

8. NE2000 Compatible Network Card

9. Intel 810 motherboard Linux problem

10. installing linux-mandrake 6.1 with intel 810 chipset

11. Need info on Intel 810/815 mboards for 1u rackmounts

12. Installation goes to sleep on BookPC/Intel 810

13. Help finishing config for Intel 810 chipset