64 Bit Oracle on Solaris 7 !

Post by Damir DEL » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

we are planning to install Oracle Enterpr. Ed. 7.3.4.3 or even Oracle 8.1.6 on Solaris 7.
Both Oracle releases have been (or sonn will be) certified for Solaris 7.

Our Unix server is an Ultra Enterprise 6500 with 8GB of RAM recently running
with Solaris 7. Solaris 7 is an 64 bit OS, and is capable of adressing virtual
memory up to 2^64.

We would like to use 7GB out of availible 8GB of memory as Oracle shared memory (SGA).
This means that Oracle must be able to use 64 bit memory addressing.

Could anybody answer the following question(s) :

 How do we get this 64-bit capability with Oracle ?

 Does Oracle install itself as 64 bit application, if it notices that the underlying OS
 is a 64-bit OS, or is there an extra release/patch/add-on for 64 bit Oracle ?

Please, answer to my e-mail address too.

Thanks in advance.
--

64 Bit Oracle on Solaris 7 !

Post by Martin Hepwort » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

> Hi there,

> we are planning to install Oracle Enterpr. Ed. 7.3.4.3 or even Oracle 8.1.6 on Solaris 7.
> Both Oracle releases have been (or sonn will be) certified for Solaris 7.

> Our Unix server is an Ultra Enterprise 6500 with 8GB of RAM recently running
> with Solaris 7. Solaris 7 is an 64 bit OS, and is capable of adressing virtual
> memory up to 2^64.

> We would like to use 7GB out of availible 8GB of memory as Oracle shared memory (SGA).
> This means that Oracle must be able to use 64 bit memory addressing.

> Could anybody answer the following question(s) :

>  How do we get this 64-bit capability with Oracle ?

>  Does Oracle install itself as 64 bit application, if it notices that the underlying OS
>  is a 64-bit OS, or is there an extra release/patch/add-on for 64 bit Oracle ?

> Please, answer to my e-mail address too.

> Thanks in advance.
> --

damir
in order to get the full 64-bit benefits an application needs to be
ported to 64 bits. Unless Oracle have done this for 8i (I doubt they
will do this for earlier versions) you won't get the 64 bit benefit.

Of course Solaris 7 (with the 64 bit kernel) will run both 32 and 64 bit
apps.

does anyone in comp.database.oracle.server no anything about 64 bit
Oracle??

martin

64 Bit Oracle on Solaris 7 !

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Sat, 15 May 1999 04:00:00

>in order to get the full 64-bit benefits an application needs to be
>ported to 64 bits. Unless Oracle have done this for 8i (I doubt they
>will do this for earlier versions) you won't get the 64 bit benefit.

The version used for the Starfire TPC-C world record is 64-bit
Oracle 8i v.8.1.5.1  (see http://www.tpc.org/new_result/ttperf.idc);
older versions are certainly not 64 bit and it's probably
a separate product.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. 32 bit oracle on Solaris 9 64 bits ?

I just bought a new sun server (280R) and I plan to run solaris 9 on it in
64 bits mode, which I think is the default
when you install (Can anyone confirm this ?)

Should I run oracle 64 bits edition on it, or would oracle 32 bits edition
run just fine ?

I heard that the 64 bit edition was slower and I don't need a HUGE SGA, and
I will probably
have older 32 bit oracle OCI apps running that I cannot recompile.

Is there a HUGE performance penalty in running 32 bits apps on solaris 64
bits ?

Thanks

2. Upgrading to Solaris 2.5

3. HALstation (64-bit processor running 64-bit Solaris) as webserver

4. Must Page Sp be >= REALMEM?

5. 32 bits vs. 64 bits Oracle

6. Freebsd vs BSDI

7. Should we use 32 or 64 bit Oracle 8i on Solaris 8

8. Where to post questions?

9. 64-bit Oracle on Solaris 7 !

10. 64-bit Solaris 7: wasn't Solaris 2.6 also 32-bit?

11. 64 bit Unix (esp. 64 bit IO)

12. host mastered 64 bit wide transfers to 64 bit PCI slot?

13. performance of runing 32/64 bit program in 64 bit kernel.