DISPLAY Environment Variable

Post by Tod Thoma » Sat, 31 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I'm running Solaris 2.6 on a sparc5.  When I log onto my machine, either
remotely or locally, my DISPLAY environment variable is magically valued
with the correct hostname or IP address.  How does Solaris do this and
is it compatable across all flavors of Unix ?  I can think of a couple
of ways to do it but they are a little kludgy.

Thanks - Tod Thomas

1. netcfg: TclError: no display name and no $display environment variable

When trying to run NETCFG I get the following error
        TclError: no display name and no $display environment variable

This also happens when I try to run ethercfg.  This is a standalone
fresh install on a machine that I want to get up on the network.  The
NIC cards are in the box but not configured yet.  I am running Redhat
5.2.

I have tried the following with no luck:
   export DISPLAY=:0.0
   export DISPLAY=:0
These were mentioned in some other posts I found as possible
solutions.

Please remove NOSPAM from email address before replying via Email

2. yet another CD-ROM question

3. no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

4. Are rm'd files really gone ?

5. Setting the DISPLAY Environment variable

6. Primary Rate ISDN Card support for Linux

7. Displaying environment variables dynamically in a Korn Shell Script

8. Hardware to recommend?

9. Telnet Session Default DISPLAY Environment Variable

10. Automatically Set DISPLAY Environment Variable after rlogin

11. What are the JDK DISPLAY environment variable

12. DISPLAY environment variable

13. Error: $DISPLAY environment variable not set.