stty question

Post by slavin.. » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I have an issue with the /dev/cua/a port where the modem is installed.
If I run tip on that port, I can talk to the modem, but there's some
kind of buffering effect (one-keystroke delay), where I need to press a
key in order for previously typed character to appear.  I suspected
wrong stty options, so I tried to change them as root.  Well, turns out
that stty doesn't reflect any changes I'm trying to make!  If I try to
run stty < /dev/cua/a -a, I get a list of current settings.  Then I do
(for example) stty < /dev/cua/a crtscts, and get no errors.  But when I
list the settings again, nothing has changed!  The stty man page says
that the command acts only on stdin device - but how do I control
non-stdin devices?  I'm having this issue both in Solaris and FreeBSD.
I'm sure it's something simple, I wonder what I'm missing.  BTW, what's
the stty parameter that removes this buffering effect I'm experiencing?

By the way, those who now about my printer troubles, I'm still trying to
find a solution...

Thanks very much.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

stty question

Post by Roland Titz » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I have an issue with the /dev/cua/a port where the modem is installed.
> If I run tip on that port, I can talk to the modem, but there's some
> kind of buffering effect (one-keystroke delay), where I need to press a
> key in order for previously typed character to appear.  I suspected
> wrong stty options, so I tried to change them as root.  Well, turns out
> that stty doesn't reflect any changes I'm trying to make!  If I try to
> run stty < /dev/cua/a -a, I get a list of current settings.  Then I do
> (for example) stty < /dev/cua/a crtscts, and get no errors.  But when I
> list the settings again, nothing has changed!  The stty man page says
> that the command acts only on stdin device - but how do I control
> non-stdin devices?  I'm having this issue both in Solaris and FreeBSD.
> I'm sure it's something simple, I wonder what I'm missing.  BTW, what's
> the stty parameter that removes this buffering effect I'm experiencing?

> By the way, those who now about my printer troubles, I'm still trying to
> find a solution...

This is normal behaviour. The problem is that the tty will be reinitialized
with the system default settings if no process use this tty.
You can workaround this using:

# cat </dev/cua/a &
# stty <your new settings> </dev/cua/a

Afterwards the new settings should be active:-)
Another way is to modify the ttymon configuration.
--

Regards
Roland Titze

stty question

Post by Philip Bro » Thu, 16 Sep 1999 04:00:00

different stty question :-)

Lately, I've been noticing that telnet to certain remote machines
has been dropping characters in vi.
both ends are solaris. one is solaris 2.6, one is 7.

I think this is a holdover from the old days of 300baudmodems, when
curses suddenly decides to "optimize" screen updates.

My question is: How the heck to I disable this "feature"?
I have a feeling it is also an stty issue, but I'm not sure.

The word of the day is mispergitude

1. Another stty question.

Monday, I posted a question relating to the following:

I'm trying to use stty to set the values of a terminal that I then
want to open with an application I've written.

   I "stty blablabla < /dev/tty00" and when I then look at it with
"stty -a < /dev/tty00", it's values are as they were before my first
stty.

   Several people have told me that this is the way it's supposed
to work.  As I now understand it, the stty opens the port and sets
it's values, but closes the port, undoing the changes, when it
exits.

   I've looked at the man page for stty, and I just don't get it.

   Is there a way to set a port's values, then open that port in
an app while preserving those values, and set additional values
with tcsetattr?

   I've been contracted to do a small project.  I would like the
user to change the com port values without setting entries for
tcsetattr, and then recompiling.  My client wants this program to
be portable between Solaris to DOS, and I want to minimize the
volume of code in conditional compile clauses.

                                                          Thanks
                                                          Larry

2. Measuring time bet. instructions on IRIS

3. Stty Question

4. FTP server behind LRP box

5. stty question

6. information about stl with codewarrior for linux

7. XF86Config on Dell Inspiron 2650

8. An stty question

9. Another stty question....

10. stty questions

11. Stty questions for serial port modem

12. Newbie stty question