set-uid programs on a vold-mounted CD-ROM?

set-uid programs on a vold-mounted CD-ROM?

Post by Roland Titz » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

the volume daemon uses rmmount to mount CD-ROMs.
This command mounts filesystems with the nosuid flag set.
Is there a workarround to use set-uid programs on CD-ROMs,
which was mounted via volume daemon?

Roland

set-uid programs on a vold-mounted CD-ROM?

Post by Chris Thomps » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>the volume daemon uses rmmount to mount CD-ROMs.
>This command mounts filesystems with the nosuid flag set.
>Is there a workarround to use set-uid programs on CD-ROMs,
>which was mounted via volume daemon?

This doesn't seem to be one of the things you can easily modify via
/etc/vold.conf or /etc/rmmount.conf.

But perhaps you should explain why you want to do such a mind-numbingly
insecure thing in the first place?

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

1. NFS mounting a vold mounted CD-ROM

Using Solaris 2.3, I am having trouble NFS mounting a CD-ROM filesystem
that was mounted with the volume manager (vold) on its local system.
The mount itself succeeds, but there is never any real data available
under the mount point.  The volume manager seems to provide links such
that the CD-ROM filesystem is available both under /cdrom and under /vol,
so I've tried NFS mounting both of those, but with no luck.

If however, I turn off vold for the CD-ROM and just manually mount it
with something like:

  mount -r -F hsfs /dev/c0t6d0s2 /cdrom

I can then NFS mount the /cdrom filesystem on another machine without
any problems.

Does anyone know how to properly NFS mount a filesystem that was
orginally mounted by the volume manager on its local filesystem?  Perhaps
there is a specific directory that I must NFS mount?

Thanks very much.

--

     University Computing and Networking Services, Athens, GA 30602-1911

2. How can I make linux to receive calls from outside?

4. 2.5.60 - Strange APIC errors

5. ``VOLD'' refuses to mount cd-rom

6. Suse 7.0 evaluation

7. waiting for vold to mount CD-ROM

8. CD-ROM installation blues--HELP!!!

9. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

10. Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

11. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

12. Mounting CD ROM vs. Mounting CD ROM

13. Modem Set-up Problems/Can't Mount CD-ROM