Ultra 10 & VGA switchbox

Post by Mike Diggin » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 09:50:30

I have two Ultra 10's with the VGA ports connected to an APEX Outlook 280
switch box. Often when I first power up, the video is out of sync and I
can't get a picture. Sometime it works okay but most of the time it
doesn't. Connecting the monitor directly to the Ultra 10 works okay of
course.

I suspect the problem is that the vertical sync frequency between the
monitor and Ultra 10 does not match. My KVM switch doesn't seem to have
any options that would affect this so I'm wondering if there is anything
on the Ultra 10 I could modify that would make this more reliable? Can
anyone help?

-Mike

        **     *** ******    Mike Diggins
       ****  **** ********  Analyst, Networks
      ** ******* **     ** Computing and Information Services
     **   ** ** **     ** McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario
    **      ** **     ** (905) 525-9140 Ext. 27471   ABB131A
   **      ** ********* Fax: (905) 528-3773

Ultra 10 & VGA switchbox

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 21:58:25

> I have two Ultra 10's with the VGA ports connected to an APEX Outlook 280
> switch box. Often when I first power up, the video is out of sync and I
> can't get a picture. Sometime it works okay but most of the time it
> doesn't. Connecting the monitor directly to the Ultra 10 works okay of
> course.

> I suspect the problem is that the vertical sync frequency between the
> monitor and Ultra 10 does not match. My KVM switch doesn't seem to have
> any options that would affect this so I'm wondering if there is anything
> on the Ultra 10 I could modify that would make this more reliable? Can
> anyone help?

It's more likely that the sync signals from the Ultra 10 are being garbled or
lost somewhere between the Ultra 10 and the monitor. This is usually caused by
bad connections in the switchbox, or bad cabling.

Also, how old is this KVM switch? Older KVM switches were not designed for the
high-frequency, high-resolution video modes of today. At best, you get a
blurred, shadowy image. At worst, the monitor won't sync up to the Sun box
when connected through the switchbox.

Is it a real KVM, or just a cheap $15 switchbox? If it's a cheap piece of
crap, you've just answered your own question... I can take a $15 switchbox and
slap a fancy sticker on it that says, "StarView VidSwitch 2001" to make it
look impressive, but it's still a cheap piece of crap.

1. Ultra 10 VGA connector

Hi There,

We've just been shipped an Ultra 10 box. These come with two video
interfaces : a standard VGA connector (HD15) and a 13W3 connector.

The monitor we got has a standard VGA connection and seems healthy; has
been tested on a laptop.
However, when the Ultra 10 is booted up, it seems that nothing comes
out of the VGA port ! Screen stays black !

Any hint as to how solve that ?

Another option would be to try the other video interface (13W3
connector). However, I would need a HD15 female to 13W3 male connector
to connect the standard VGA screen to the 13W3 female interface. These
kind of cable do not seem to exist !? Although, other combinations seem
to exist (13W3 male to HD15 male etc...).

Can you confirm that ?

Regards,

Yahia Hebib

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. How to subcribe Linux Journal ?

3. Using Alternate Videa(VGA) port on Ultra 10

4. Anyone out there using a qic-02 tape drive?

5. VGA output on Ultra 10 - please help

6. Best window manager:low ram, good looks?

7. Standard VGA Monitor and Ultra 10

8. RPC && C++

9. Sun DLT 4000 & Ultra 10 & PCI UltraSCSI

10. Ultra 5 versus Ultra 10

11. Oracle 10 (RAC) & Solaris 10 & Sun Cluster 3

12. Ultra 10 / Ultra 60

13. Ultra 5 / Ultra 10 - how to compare remotely