How to read/write a IOMEGA ZIP100 SCSI drive which is DOS formatted ?

How to read/write a IOMEGA ZIP100 SCSI drive which is DOS formatted ?

Post by RenĂ© LAFO » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a customer who wants to read/write DOS files on his ZIP100 SCSI
drive.

This SCSI drive is correctly installed under SOLARIS 2.5 and I just want to
know how to mount it in order to read/write files and  how to use them
on another PC's working under Win95' only.

Actually the used device is /dev/dsk/c0t5d0s5 ...

I don't know SOLARIS environment and don't pratice UNIX since 1996 !

Would you mind sending me some advices ?

Thanks a lot for each response.

Post by Robert Campbel » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I have a customer who wants to read/write DOS files on his ZIP100 SCSI
> drive.

> This SCSI drive is correctly installed under SOLARIS 2.5 and I just want to
> know how to mount it in order to read/write files and  how to use them
> on another PC's working under Win95' only.

> Actually the used device is /dev/dsk/c0t5d0s5 ...

> I don't know SOLARIS environment and don't pratice UNIX since 1996 !

> Would you mind sending me some advices ?

> Thanks a lot for each response.

Compile and install GNU mtools on the solaris box.  That is what we use here,
and it works
great.

--
Robert Campbell
Software Developer

WWW: http://www.geonexuscorp.com/

How to read/write a IOMEGA ZIP100 SCSI drive which is DOS formatted ?

Post by Toerless Ecke » Sat, 10 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>> This SCSI drive is correctly installed under SOLARIS 2.5 and I just want to
>> know how to mount it in order to read/write files and  how to use them
>> on another PC's working under Win95' only.

>> Actually the used device is /dev/dsk/c0t5d0s5 ...

>> I don't know SOLARIS environment and don't pratice UNIX since 1996 !

Use Solaris-2.6, there you can mount those drives directly.

Toerless
--

    /C=de/A=d400/P=uni-erlangen/OU=informatik/S=Eckert/G=Toerless/
                   ATM - Another Terrible Mistake

1. Iomega ZIP100 SCSI quite slow

| are there any special configuration issues concerning Iomega ZIP100
| drives? Mine is working fine with Windows and Linux; FreeBSD correctly
| recognizes it at startup, but all read/write operations are extremely
| slow. Usually, when copying 30 MBytes to a ZIP medium, it takes about 45
| seconds, but with FreeBSD, this operation takes almost 6 minutes.
| The two cd-rom devices that are connected to the same SCSI controller
| (Adaptec 2940AU) work fine and as fast as the should do, and the whole
| rest of the system seems well-configured.

I too find the zip drive annoyingly slow if I use zip disks with msdos
file systems.  Put a ufs file system on it, however, and you should
find things speeding up quite nicely.  This may not be an option if
you are using the zip to transfer data to and from dos/windoze
systems, but if your zip disks live in a pure freebsd world it't
definitely the way to go.

If I needed regularly to transfer largeish amounts of data onto and
off from a zip disk, I'd probably experiment with keeping an msdos
file system in a regular file on a hard drive, then transferring whole
disk images to and from the zip using dd.

--
* Harald Hanche-Olsen     <URL:http://www.math.ntnu.no/~hanche/>
- Yes it works in practice - but does it work in theory?

2. NCR53c90a SCSI (I've read the SCSI Howto)

3. mounting Iomega Zip100 under scsi emulation?

4. partition on S390

5. Probs with SCSI Iomega ZIP100 intern

6. Totally screwed up system

7. Dos format Zip Disk (Zip100)

8. XF86Config for Trident3DImae975/Samsung SyncMaster 700b

9. How to :Reading writing & formatting Linux floppy from DOS ?

10. How to use/mount a iOmega ZIP100-drive on Caldera OpenLinux?

11. Floppy Drive to write DOS formatted diskettes