Software Installation Question

Post by Jerry Gaha » Sun, 02 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me of an online source for detailed information about
installing software i.e. source & binary, and using different tools i.e.
configure, pkgadd etc
thanks
Jerry

1. Software Installation Question

I'm fairly new to Linux and I've got a question about installing
software.  I download software to my /home directory.  Do I extract here
so that it can be compiled or do I place either the .gz or the.tar file
somewhere else before compiling.  For instance, I downloaded GIMP 1.0.
The file I got was gimp.1.0.0.tar.gz and it was downloaded to my /home
directory.  Do I go ahead and extract it here and do the compile or do I
put it somewhere else?  If I can extract it here, how does it know where
to set itself up at?  Will it replace GIMP.0.99 or will there be two
versions on my PC?

Thanks in advance.

jeff self

2. I have a big problem!!!

3. newbie software installation question

4. Linux for DEC 5000/25

5. Software Installation Question

6. fvwm2 and ClickToFocus (how to stop window raising?)

7. Need: software installation software

8. SMC EtherPower PCI

9. Question regarding Redhat 6.1 default installation exclusion of required software packages

10. software question - documentation on software?

11. Installation question: other questions

12. software installation

13. GNU software installation on Linux? How?