Newbie Question

Post by Harold His » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 09:36:11

OK, my new Ultra came with Solaris 8 installed already. The install
created only two partitions root and space.  The root partition has all
of Solaris and is 6gb, the /Space partition has nothing on it and is
12gb, my question:

Can I move the /opt directory to the /space partition and create a
symbolic link to it from the root partition?  Any gotchas do doing this?

Newbie Question

Post by Rick Mille » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:37:06

> OK, my new Ultra came with Solaris 8 installed already. The install
> created only two partitions root and space.  The root partition has all
> of Solaris and is 6gb, the /Space partition has nothing on it and is
> 12gb, my question:

> Can I move the /opt directory to the /space partition and create a
> symbolic link to it from the root partition?  Any gotchas do doing this?

I am not sure what /space is, I haven't got one on my systems.  This is
likely a partition that was created by someone for some unknown reason.
Solaris doesn't define this partition on a default install.  However, I
bet that you can move /opt over...

--Rick

Newbie Question

Post by Darren Dunha » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 01:59:46

>> OK, my new Ultra came with Solaris 8 installed already. The install
>> created only two partitions root and space.  The root partition has all
>> of Solaris and is 6gb, the /Space partition has nothing on it and is
>> 12gb, my question:

>> Can I move the /opt directory to the /space partition and create a
>> symbolic link to it from the root partition?  Any gotchas do doing this?
> I am not sure what /space is, I haven't got one on my systems.  This is
> likely a partition that was created by someone for some unknown reason.
> Solaris doesn't define this partition on a default install.  However, I
> bet that you can move /opt over...

Depends on what you mean by 'default install'.  The suninstall program
won't create it by default, but it is on the shipped systems already.
You'll see it on disks that have never undergone a local admin's
installation.

But for the OP, 6G for / is not enough?  Hmm...  I'd wonder what you're
putting there.

Yes, you should be able to move /opt and link to it.  I'd do it while
booted single-user to make it easy.

      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >

1. Newbie (I mean REAL NEWBIE) question

Sorry, I'm not a pc idiot, just completely new to linux. I lurked here
for a day or two and didn't see the answer.

Can I run Windows95 in a Linux RedHat 5.2 shell? This would let me play
Linux but still use my favorite apps. I've set it up to dual boot, but I
want to actually run one or two Win95 sessions in Linux itself.

Someone told me it was possible, but in the 4 days of having RedHat on
my system I can't figure it out...

Sorry for the dumb question.

Nick
--

Nick Smeltzer CNE

2. INND help needed, plz

3. linux newbie--newbie question follows

4. Newbie question on IPC

5. Newbie question - mailing list, or web site dealing with newbies security in linux?

6. Firewall version 3.1

7. NEWBIE.. Extremely Newbie questions.

9. Newbie Questions (ICEWM Background, ppp question, mem > 64mb)

10. sar Question (probably a newbie question)

11. Netscape configuration question; newbie question.

12. Kernel compile question. (another newbie question)

13. Newbie Question - Supported Hardware Question.