Finding out what package a file belongs to

Finding out what package a file belongs to

Post by computer perso » Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:54:21

Hi,

I installed a system with jumpstart and noticed I could not start the CDE
environment due to missing files. Once specific one was libtt.o.2. Is there
a way I can find out what package would need to be installed to get missing
files?

Cheers!

Post by chris ber » Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:59:59

> Hi,
> I installed a system with jumpstart and noticed I could not start the CDE
> environment due to missing files. Once specific one was libtt.o.2. Is there
> a way I can find out what package would need to be installed to get missing
> files?

if you have a system that does have the file(s) present, you can
examine the file /var/sadm/install/contents
this should tell you which package you need assuming the files
were put there by pkgadd.

Finding out what package a file belongs to

Post by computer perso » Mon, 15 Dec 2003 21:59:55

Quote:> Hi,

> I installed a system with jumpstart and noticed I could not start the CDE
> environment due to missing files. Once specific one was libtt.o.2. Is
there
> a way I can find out what package would need to be installed to get
missing
> files?

> Cheers!

One correction.. The module was libtt.so.2 that was missing, along with
several others needed to start CDE..All openwin/cde packages were installed
so thats a mystery..

Post by computer perso » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:21:04

> > Hi,

> > I installed a system with jumpstart and noticed I could not start the
CDE
> > environment due to missing files. Once specific one was libtt.o.2. Is
there
> > a way I can find out what package would need to be installed to get
missing
> > files?

> if you have a system that does have the file(s) present, you can
> examine the file /var/sadm/install/contents
> this should tell you which package you need assuming the files
> were put there by pkgadd.

Chris, thanks! That was very helpful. I now have figured out the issue with
your suggestion. Much appreciated...

Post by Richard L. Hamilt » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:11:20

>> Hi,

>> I installed a system with jumpstart and noticed I could not start the CDE
>> environment due to missing files. Once specific one was libtt.o.2. Is there
>> a way I can find out what package would need to be installed to get missing
>> files?

> if you have a system that does have the file(s) present, you can
> examine the file /var/sadm/install/contents
> this should tell you which package you need assuming the files
> were put there by pkgadd.

Or more formally,

    pkgchk -l -p full_path_name

Example:

# pkgchk -l -p /usr/sbin/pkgchk
Pathname: /usr/sbin/pkgchk
Type: regular file
Expected mode: 0555
Expected owner: root
Expected group: sys
Expected file size (bytes): 891228
Expected sum(1) of contents: 27406
Expected last modification: Oct 27 20:19:18 2003
Referenced by the following packages:
        SUNWcsu
Current status: installed

--

Finding out what package a file belongs to

Post by Scott Howar » Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:51:52

Quote:>> if you have a system that does have the file(s) present, you can
>> examine the file /var/sadm/install/contents
>> this should tell you which package you need assuming the files
>> were put there by pkgadd.

> Or more formally,

>    pkgchk -l -p full_path_name

The problem with this is that you need the full path, which for a library
or similar you may not always have.

The next version of Solaris adds another option to pkgchk to allow you to
do a partial path name match, which makes it the equivalent (although
much cleaner) of greping the contents file.  I forget the exact option,
but if you're running Solaris Express you can find it in man pkgchk.

  Scott