Need to run X-Server on a netra T1 running solaris 8

Need to run X-Server on a netra T1 running solaris 8

Post by Paul Glavi » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 01:16:52

Hi,

I have a netra T1 that I need to run Veritas Netbackup on.
The software needs a GUI to configure but the Netra does not have a graphics
card that I am aware of.

Is there anything I can install on the box that will allow me to run an X
session from another machine on the network?

Thanks in Advance

Paul

Post by Rich Tee » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 01:33:32

> I have a netra T1 that I need to run Veritas Netbackup on.
> The software needs a GUI to configure but the Netra does not have a graphics
> card that I am aware of.

> Is there anything I can install on the box that will allow me to run an X
> session from another machine on the network?

Just install the X libraries, and away you go.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Wed, 08 Aug 2001 23:29:47

> I have a netra T1 that I need to run Veritas Netbackup on.
> The software needs a GUI to configure but the Netra does not have a graphics
> card that I am aware of.

> Is there anything I can install on the box that will allow me to run an X
> session from another machine on the network?

As Rich said, install the X (Openwin) libraries.

Set your DISPLAY environment variable to point to the remote machine.

sh:

DISPLAY=yourmachine:0.0 export DISPLAY

csh:

setenv DISPLAY yourmachine:0.0

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 01:02:19

|I have a netra T1 that I need to run Veritas Netbackup on.
|The software needs a GUI to configure but the Netra does not have a graphics
|card that I am aware of.
|
|Is there anything I can install on the box that will allow me to run an X
|session from another machine on the network?

That's a basic core part of the X software - all you need are the X
libraries and to follow the instructions at:
        http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/xauth.html

Need to run X-Server on a netra T1 running solaris 8

Post by Paul Glavi » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 20:35:16

Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately my news server didn't get Rich's reply so thanks again

> > I have a netra T1 that I need to run Veritas Netbackup on.
> > The software needs a GUI to configure but the Netra does not have a
graphics
> > card that I am aware of.

> > Is there anything I can install on the box that will allow me to run an
> > session from another machine on the network?

> As Rich said, install the X (Openwin) libraries.

> Set your DISPLAY environment variable to point to the remote machine.

> sh:

> DISPLAY=yourmachine:0.0 export DISPLAY

> csh:

> setenv DISPLAY yourmachine:0.0

1. HELP: Second VGA monitor: What do I need to run another X-server on it?

Hi everybody,

I have Slackware linux on my machine, it runs and working fine.
Few days ago I got a present - MonoVGA monitor (well, not so good
but fine as a second one). So I decided to attach it to my Linux
box, and run an X-server on it. But I don't know what to strart from.
Here is the list of my questions:
        1. How can I connect second keyboard to computer?
        2. Shell I run separate X-server on each monitor?
        3. Does XFree86 support double (or more) monitor systems?
           Does Xfree86 supports keyboards konnected somehow else
           than in keyboard port?
        4. I know that I have to get second VGA card, and what about
           hardware conflicts with the first one (Orchid ProDesigner IIs)?
           Can someone recommend me the chip mono VGA card,that will work
           will Linux?
        5. Is it possible to install this second monitor/keyboard in another
           room (10ft) or the distance is too large?

If it's imposiible to set-up it to work with X, than please point me too an
information about adding a text terminal.
       Please send me everything you know about dual-monitor Linuxes
I'm going to summarize it, and may be I will write a HOWTO, later.

Please send me E-mail, togather with posting to newsgroup.

Thanks a lot,

Matt.

--
When a fellow says, "It ain't the money but the principle of the
thing," it's the money.

2. xv & gimp problems !

3. How to run the X-Server & FREEBSD as an Internet Server.

4. Permission to kill a process

5. Need help to run SUN Workshop 5.0 beta (problems to run solaris license manager)

6. Word Perfect printer madness (Was Re: What about 0 swap space ?)

7. Netra T1 100 - T1 200 - 120 Differences

8. shutdown already in progress?

9. Netra T1, Solaris 2.6 & 2.8, Jumpstart from Solaris 2.7

10. Running a Web Server on an ISDN line at T1+ speed?

11. Trying Application suite that usually runs on Solaris 8 to run on Solaris 10

12. Sun Netra i running Solaris 2.5.1