U5/333, Sol 7: weird messages in /var/adm/messages

U5/333, Sol 7: weird messages in /var/adm/messages

Post by Steve Dy » Sat, 06 Feb 1999 04:00:00

My Ultra 5/333 is running Sol 7 with all patches from sunsolve applied.
The machine is running flawlessly, but I'm curious about the nature
of these messages appearing in /var/adm/messages:

Feb  1 19:25:02 spdcc.com unix: Warning: 28011856 Recieved duplicate M_IOCACK
Feb  2 11:26:57 spdcc.com unix: Warning: 20093768 Recieved duplicate M_IOCACK
Feb  2 18:08:08 spdcc.com unix: WARNING: interrupt level 4 not serviced
Feb  3 03:59:08 spdcc.com unix: WARNING: interrupt level 4 not serviced
Feb  3 14:08:14 spdcc.com unix: WARNING: interrupt level 4 not serviced
Feb  5 06:50:12 spdcc.com unix: WARNING: interrupt level 4 not serviced

As you can see, they are sporadic, and don't seem to be causing any
problems.

I have a Symbios SCSI card installed in a PCI slot, but I've yet to
connect any drives to it.  I'm wondering if that could be the source
of "interrupt level 4 not serviced".  Any clues on the M_IOCACK
message?  I imagine it would be the hme ethernet?
--
Steve Dyer

U5/333, Sol 7: weird messages in /var/adm/messages

Post by Russell Johnso » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I heard of this type of warning message on Solaris 2.6 for Sparc
machines.  The "bug" was filed under the glm driver.  It had something
to do with sporadic interrupts.  I don't know why you would get these
messages when you have no SCSI devices attached because the Symbios card
won't interrupt unless something is running on the adapter.

Maybe you could do a search for glm on the access1 web site and see if
any of the updates from 2.6 fixed this warning or at least documented
it.

Russ

> Feb  5 06:50:12 spdcc.com unix: WARNING: interrupt level 4 not serviced

> I have a Symbios SCSI card installed in a PCI slot, but I've yet to
> connect any drives to it.  I'm wondering if that could be the source
> of "interrupt level 4 not serviced".  Any clues on the M_IOCACK
> message?  I imagine it would be the hme ethernet?
> --
> Steve Dyer

U5/333, Sol 7: weird messages in /var/adm/messages

Post by martin+use.. » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> My Ultra 5/333 is running Sol 7 with all patches from sunsolve applied.
> The machine is running flawlessly, but I'm curious about the nature
> of these messages appearing in /var/adm/messages:

> Feb  5 06:50:12 spdcc.com unix: WARNING: interrupt level 4 not serviced

> As you can see, they are sporadic, and don't seem to be causing any
> problems.

same here, with Ultra 10. an identical machine with Solaris 2.6 5/98
doesn't show the message.

Quote:> I have a Symbios SCSI card installed in a PCI slot, but I've yet to
> connect any drives to it.  I'm wondering if that could be the source
> of "interrupt level 4 not serviced".

mine have no extra controllers/whatever - so this can't be the problem ..

mp.
--
                         Martin Paul | Systems Administrator

                and Parallel Systems | Tel: 01-3105608-84
Liechtensteinstrasse 22, A-1090 Wien | Fax: 01-3105608-88

U5/333, Sol 7: weird messages in /var/adm/messages

Post by John Hor » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I heard of this type of warning message on Solaris 2.6 for Sparc
> machines.  The "bug" was filed under the glm driver.  It had something
> to do with sporadic interrupts.  I don't know why you would get these
> messages when you have no SCSI devices attached because the Symbios card
> won't interrupt unless something is running on the adapter.

> Maybe you could do a search for glm on the access1 web site and see if
> any of the updates from 2.6 fixed this warning or at least documented
> it.

>> Feb  5 06:50:12 spdcc.com unix: WARNING: interrupt level 4 not serviced

I too now see this on our Ultra 10. It has an ITIpciSCSI and
Ethernet Host Adapter card in it (...it says here). We have a DAT
tape deck and a 2x4GB disk pack* off it. There is a Solaris
7 glm patch (106925-01) which we have applied, and seen no warnings
since then...  however this is no guarantee. (Patch applied just over
24 hours ago now). The patch mentions nothing about the messages
however.

John.

Academic and Information Services              Phone :  +44 (0) 1752 - 233911
University of Plymouth, UK                     Fax   :  +44 (0) 1752 - 233919

U5/333, Sol 7: weird messages in /var/adm/messages

Post by Super-Us » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Looks like this is a known bug. It does seem to have to do with the SCSI card and can also be caused by the PGX grahics card. There is a bug filed and a fix should be forthcoming. It doesnt appear to effect the system other than filling up your messages file.

cheers,
-duster

> > I heard of this type of warning message on Solaris 2.6 for Sparc
> > machines.  The "bug" was filed under the glm driver.  It had something
> > to do with sporadic interrupts.  I don't know why you would get these
> > messages when you have no SCSI devices attached because the Symbios card
> > won't interrupt unless something is running on the adapter.

> > Maybe you could do a search for glm on the access1 web site and see if
> > any of the updates from 2.6 fixed this warning or at least documented
> > it.

> >> Feb  5 06:50:12 spdcc.com unix: WARNING: interrupt level 4 not serviced

U5/333, Sol 7: weird messages in /var/adm/messages

Post by Kjetil Torgrim Homm » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

[Super-User]

Quote:>   Looks like this is a known bug. It does seem to have to do with
>   the SCSI card and can also be caused by the PGX grahics
>   card. There is a bug filed and a fix should be forthcoming. It
>   doesnt appear to effect the system other than filling up your
>   messages file.

It happens on all our new U5/333 (we've got 50 or so), no extra cards
attached.  We usually get 2-4 messages per day per machine.  When xmcd
runs, the rate goes up.  My local support representative had no ideas,
and there are no bugs for this filed at SunSolve.

Kjetil T.

U5/333, Sol 7: weird messages in /var/adm/messages

Post by Thomas Tornblo » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> [Super-User]

> >   Looks like this is a known bug. It does seem to have to do with
> >   the SCSI card and can also be caused by the PGX grahics
> >   card. There is a bug filed and a fix should be forthcoming. It
> >   doesnt appear to effect the system other than filling up your
> >   messages file.

> It happens on all our new U5/333 (we've got 50 or so), no extra cards
> attached.  We usually get 2-4 messages per day per machine.  When xmcd
> runs, the rate goes up.  My local support representative had no ideas,
> and there are no bugs for this filed at SunSolve.

> Kjetil T.

Install the IDE/ATAPI patch, 106407-03, and "se" patch, 105924-07.

--

Sun Microsystems AB      Fax: +46 8 623 9102

U5/333, Sol 7: weird messages in /var/adm/messages

Post by Kjetil Torgrim Homm » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

(the weird message is "Interrupt level 4 not serviced")

[Thomas Tornblom]

Quote:>   Install the IDE/ATAPI patch, 106407-03, and "se" patch, 105924-07.

Thanks for the tip, but we're running Solaris 7.  I searched for "[ide
atapi]" without luck.

Kjetil T.