Raid using single disks vs a Raid Box

Post by Sean S Coleman 303-497-567 » Sat, 01 Mar 1997 04:00:00

We are in the process of deciding how to configure disks for an E3000
which we want to use as a file server. Two possibilities exist to do
this, but independent disks attached seperatly to the SCSI bus  and
use some sort of RAID Software or buy a RAID Hardware Box like
a SparcStorage array.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach. What
are the performance difference between the two RAID setups?

Thanks for the info.

Sean Coleman
NIST
Boulder, CO

1. Raid performace issues (Raid 5 vs. Raid 0+1) with database files

Hi folks,

We are thinking to place one of our DB's on a Sun Storedge 5200 and
Sun Enterprise 4500.

Since we have a web-based OLTP environment, well, actually mixed,
since we have major updates running at nights against most of the
data, I thought that RAID-5 is not great, since during the day there
are a lot of small reads/writes.
I was thinking about 0+1 on datafiles with actualy data, but I am not
sure whether I need to mirror the TEMP tablespace or whether I should
place the REDO logs on the mirror.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanx
---------------
Andrey Dmitriev  eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 373-5417
AOL: NetComrade  ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email

2. Epson Color Stylus printing problems

3. RAID RAID RAID

4. Need help om Netscape News Server 2.0

5. HW RAID vs SW RAID

6. External ISDN TA with Linux

7. RS/6000 RAID vs. AIX RAID

8. Uncompress utility

9. IDE RAID Cards vs Software RAID????

10. RAID: 9337 DASD vs. 7135 RAID

11. RAID 5 vs RAID 1+0

12. built-in IDE RAID vs. Linux-level RAID?

13. RAID 0+1 vs RAID 5