VERITAS cluster server vs. SUN cluster -- Any recommendations ?

VERITAS cluster server vs. SUN cluster -- Any recommendations ?

Post by sc.. » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 07:14:47



Hello

We are trying to evaluate a cluster software for our SUN/Solaris environment.

At present, we tend to the VERITAS cluster software as we already successfully run VxFS und VxVM
on our systems ( SF480, SF4800, Solaris 8, Solaris 9).

Does anyone have any comments to the VERITAS Cluster server or SUN Cluster ?

What cluster softare are you running and why ?

I thank you for your efforts.

bye stefan

 
 
 

VERITAS cluster server vs. SUN cluster -- Any recommendations ?

Post by Elia » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 13:17:29



> Hello

> We are trying to evaluate a cluster software for our SUN/Solaris environment.

> At present, we tend to the VERITAS cluster software as we already successfully run VxFS und VxVM
> on our systems ( SF480, SF4800, Solaris 8, Solaris 9).

> Does anyone have any comments to the VERITAS Cluster server or SUN Cluster ?

> What cluster softare are you running and why ?

> I thank you for your efforts.

> bye stefan

It would help to know what application or service you will be running
and trying to make highly available.

In general both offer the basic failover features that you expect.  VCS
does come at a much higher price.  I would look at what functionality
you expect to get and what price you have to pay for that.

Just because you run VxFS and VxVM doesn't mean you should look more at
VCS.  Sun Cluster was designed to operate with VxVM, VxFS, Veritas
NetBackup, and many other VRTS products.

Veritas will likely talk about feature advantages like global clustering
for remote disaster recovery and the ability to mix and match servers of
  various types with storage of various types.  Also the ability to
cluster large numbers of nodes.

Sun will probably tell you about the advantages of tying the cluster
into the kernel and how tighter integration makes for better clustering.
  As well as the ability to have one call to make if anything goes
wrong.  Instead of not knowing if it's the cluster software, the OS, or
the hardware.  Sun can support directly the Sun cluster software, the
OS, the hardware, VxVM, VxFS, and NetBackup.

You should probably not pay too much attention to the features and
functions of each that you won't be using and concentrate on what
matters to your organization and your application.  Then look at the
total cost of ownership over a period of time; say 3 years.  Consider
things like maintenance costs, future growth, and most important the
professional services costs to implement it.  No matter how tempted you
are it is not a good idea to do this yourself.  This type of software is
not trivial to install or to configure.

 
 
 

VERITAS cluster server vs. SUN cluster -- Any recommendations ?

Post by Thomas H. Jones I » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 04:44:53




> > Hello

> > We are trying to evaluate a cluster software for our SUN/Solaris environment.

> > At present, we tend to the VERITAS cluster software as we already successfully run VxFS und VxVM
> > on our systems ( SF480, SF4800, Solaris 8, Solaris 9).

> > Does anyone have any comments to the VERITAS Cluster server or SUN Cluster ?

> > What cluster softare are you running and why ?

We have both in our farms. Since my company manages systems on behalf
of other customers, typically we provide the specific cluster solution
that the customer requests. Or, if the customer is only seeking
clustered resources, but dont care about the software providing it, we
go the VCS route.

Quote:> It would help to know what application or service you will be running
> and trying to make highly available.

It also helps to know what other things you might want to do that are
-related- to that application. For example: say you wish to have a
cluster that makes one application highly available, yet not have an
idle node, but the second application is non-critical. With VCS it's
fairly trivial to set up the cluster with the application running on
one node, but kills the non-critical application on the other node, in
the event that the primary application needs to fail over (and yes,
I've seen this requested). SunCluster is a little bit more onerous in
setting something like this up.

Quote:> In general both offer the basic failover features that you expect.  VCS
> does come at a much higher price.  I would look at what functionality
> you expect to get and what price you have to pay for that.

Id have to argue that: Veritas does not require that Veritas engineers
install the cluster in order for Veritas to support it. Currently, Sun
requires that either their PS or ES groups install the cluster if they
are going to support it. The contract to get Sun PS to come in and do
the work -more- than washes out any price differentials in the
software. And yes, you can get Sun ES to come in and do it, but I'd
personally recommend against it.

Quote:> Just because you run VxFS and VxVM doesn't mean you should look more at
> VCS.  Sun Cluster was designed to operate with VxVM, VxFS, Veritas
> NetBackup, and many other VRTS products.

And, in fact, some of Sun's installation personnel (most of the ones
I've seen) seem to be more comfortable working in Veritas mediums and
seem completely out of their depth in SDS mediums.

Quote:> You should probably not pay too much attention to the features and
> functions of each that you won't be using and concentrate on what
> matters to your organization and your application.

For example, if you dont use Sun storage, dont even think about Sun
Cluster. If, on the other hand, you are end-to-end Sun and have all
the (many) prerequisites already in place or easily put in place, then
the Sun Cluster option may be good.

Quote:> Then look at the
> total cost of ownership over a period of time; say 3 years.  Consider
> things like maintenance costs, future growth, and most important the
> professional services costs to implement it.  

From experience, our VCS clusters have been a lot less trouble than
our Sun Clusters, and Veritas -seems- to have a higher level of
expertise with their clustering solutions than Sun -seems- to have
with theirs (your mileage may vary).

Quote:> No matter how tempted you
> are it is not a good idea to do this yourself.  This type of software is
> not trivial to install or to configure.

Not sure I can agree with this statement.

1. I know for a fact that, compared to the last couple sets of
'engineers' that Sun sent out to install Sun Cluster, I could have
installed and configured it more quickly and with less errors. As it
was, I had to do all of the SDS work, because they were totally
baffled by the metasets (they weren't great with more traditional
ODS/SDS/SVM tasks like mirroring, for that matter).
2. VCS is dead simple to set up. Once you get your LLT and GAB choices
made so that you can start a null cluster framework, you can use
either the GUI, or script all the hares/hagrp/hasys/etc. commands.

Although, I should note that, if you wish to do either 1 or 2, go take
the appropriate classes and make sure that youre well grounded in high
availability fundamentals. If you are going to have multiple clusters
(such that you can observe Sun/Veritas install the first so that you
can apply what you see to your own, later installs) and can set
yourself up a lab environment to practice on, then DIY is definitely
feasible.

-tom

--

Everyday, thousands of new cars are delivered to
their new owners with poorly-selected radio station
presets.

 
 
 

1. Sun Cluster 3.0 vs Veritas Cluster Server

I will soon begin a cycle of tests to compare the cluster products
running on Solaris/Sunfire and I am looking for **not commercial or
vendor whitepaper** informations about SC3.0 and/or VCS.

If you are using one of those products (or both ;-)) for your
business, what do you think about their reliability, their plus or
minus, etc... ?

I'll be very interesting in all advices about them.

Jean-Charles Leynadier,
Production Engineer,
CDC-Ixis Capital Markets IT Department.

2. DOSFS and other (network?) problems

3. Veritas clustering vs SUN clustering

4. setsockopt

5. Sun Cluster + QFS or Sun Cluster + Veritas

6. OpenBSD 3.0 bridge firewall not secure

7. Clustering Sun: Sun cluster or Veritas?

8. security conference, nasa johnson space center apr1-4

9. Veritas Cluster versus SUN Cluster

10. Best Practices "Migrating Veritas VCS Cluster to SUN Cluster"

11. RED HAT Advanced Server vs VERITAS Cluster Server

12. Sun Cluster 3 vs.Veritas VCS 3.5