ATA ZIP drive on Solaris 2.7 x86

Post by Clarence Wilkers » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

After posting an inquiry the other day, I experimented some
more. The bottom line is that it seems to behave just like a
a scsi ZIP drive for me.

Perhaps the tipoff is the the device:

/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s2   ( mine is on sec. ide, as slave device )

which points to

I was able to format and newfs as a Solaris disk (and copy and
read files to it)

and, more importantly, the mtools-3.9.1 package works fine
after the addition of the lines

# # ZIP disk for Solaris86:
# Drive Z is ZIP-100 at ATA-1,1
drive Z: file="/dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s2" partition=4 scsi=1 nodelay exclusive

to /etc/mtools.conf.

If you don't set /usr/local/bin/mtools as suid root, ordinary
users cannot access the zip drive. I assume that there are good
reasons not to run it suid (e.g. unrestricted access to the disk
systems ??)

I don't know all the interactions with the volume manager
( my tests were with this turned off ).

I was not able to mount the zip disk as a pcfs filesystem.

Good luck, Clarence

--
Clarence Wilkerson      \ HomePage:     http://www.math.purdue.edu/~wilker

Dept. of Mathematics      \ Messages:   (765) 494-1903, FAX 494-0548
Purdue University,         \
W. Lafayette, IN 47907-1395 \